1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

H21 and SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by megawatt_mark, Mar 25, 2009.

1. megawatt_mark

megawatt_mark New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I have a AU9-S-B Five LNB Ka/Ku slim line dish (4 coax to the multi switch) in service at my primary residence. If I install a AU9-S-SWM Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line dish on my cabin in the north woods, will I be able to take one of my H21 receivers along with me on weekends and have it work with the SWM dish?

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Should work. You would probably have to rerun Satellite Setup every time you switched.

If this is the only receiver at the cabin, you could just install the same regular slimline dish at the cabin instead of the SWM dish. It would still only require one cable, since this is not a DVR, and you would not need to rerun Setup every time you move it.

3. megawatt_mark

megawatt_mark New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Well thats good news seeing that I have SWM dish bought already! After I bought it, I got to thinking about how the receiver would handle the two different technologies and began to worry about my dish purchase selection. Thanks for your imput.

4. GP245

GP245 Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    I have a Slimline, 5 LNB dish with the SWM built-in.

Currently have it connected to two different receivers, one being a
    H21-100 and it works fine!

5. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If constantly re-running the setup becomes a hassle, you can just change the "head" (LNB assembly) on that SWM dish to a non-SWM one, fairly cheaply. If you are careful, there is no re-aiming required.

Remember that while the non-SWM setup (home) uses a BBC (small black box hanging off the back) at the satellite receiver input, the SWM setup (cabin) does not. So leave the BBC attached to the cable at home when you go to the cabin.

Remember also that the SWM dish requires a Power Inserter (separate, plug-in, indoor power supply) to be inserted in the line between your receiver and the dish. These Power Inserters are often not included when you buy the dish.

Keith