1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

H21 from Swm to 18" round dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tuff bob, Jul 30, 2011.

1. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    I've seen other people struggle with this ... Got an h21 receiver that I want to use temporarily with an 18" round dish but the receiver is stuck in Swm mode. If I start the receiver and select round dish/ multiswitch, it fails to verify and the signal meters show 0. I know I have signal, verified with an old RCA box.

I've also tried a reset everything, but it still starts with the original dish settings. Does anyone have a way to get it out of Swm mode?

I also read about a super secret reset involving down arrow/record for hr receivers during the boot, but obviously no record button on a non hr receiver, is there a super reset sequence for the h21?

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Try starting it up without the satellite connected.

After it starts up press the ACTIVE and UP keys on the front panel simultaneously and hold them in until the TV picture changes.

This used to get you right to the SETUP and INFO/TEST screens-maybe it still does.

Then, go through the satellite setup (specifying 18" dish) and restart the receiver. When it restarts and finishes all it's tests, remove power.

Now, hook up the 18" dish and power it back up.

Let us know if it works. If it doesn't, I have a few more ideas...

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Dish Type Setup Steps:

From the Menu

• Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button
    • Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button
    • Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button
    • Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button
    • Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button
    • A new screen will be shown
    • Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button
    • In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight "02 Multiswitch" then press Select button
    • Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button
    • In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight "01-18" round" then press the Select button
    • Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can highlight
    • Watch DirectTV