1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

H21 or H24, which one has optical?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lipcrkr, Apr 30, 2012.

1. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    My installation arrives Wednesday, i'm new to DirecTV. I read a previous post, about two years ago, that the H24 doesn't have optical? My A/V receiver and my Cable box have optical. I want surround sound 5.1 to go along with my HD receiver. Everything will be hooked up (minus the DirecTV box) until he arrives. But will he have both boxes on the truck to see my setup? I use HDMI but i use an optical link from my my TV to a Cable modem so i can get sound from my PC which is connected to the TV.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The H21 has an optical output, the H24 does not. You'll be very lucky if the installer has an H21.

3. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
  4. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    When my PC was connected to my TV I did optical out of the TV for sound and it worked fine through my sound system.

Is there something special about your setup?

5. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Most TV's optical output won't pass a DD5.1, except for an OTA/ATSC station, they'll just pass DD2.0 audio when using an HDMI input.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    That was the rule a few years ago but not anymore. What model TV? My recent Sony passes DD5.1 from all sources. When I got it, I was able to remove 5 toslink cables from my system and greatly simplify my macros.

7. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    My newest set Samsung 2011 PN51D8000 doesn't pass DD5.1 via its TOSLINK from a HDMI input, only ATSC/OTA channels.

8. ghontz1

ghontz1 AllStar

Mar 25, 2010
    My 2009 LG plasma has HDMI from my H23 Directv receiver then toslink from my TV to my Sony receiver and i get 5.1 surround sound or whatever Directv sends through the receiver 5.1 or 2.1 whichever is available.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    back to the original post, if you need optical and your DirecTV receiver only has digital coax just get a converter, they are cheap enough.....

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    And work very well.

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    lipcrkr, are you sure your AVR doesn't have coax? Most receivers I've seen that have optical also have at least one coax. That will save you from having to buy a converter.

12. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks for all your responses. It looks like it doesn't matter as far as the box. I have HDMI from my Cable box (DirecTV box Wednersday) to my A/V receiver. My optical goes into my Computer then goes to my A/V receiver. I do have both optical/digital audio so that's cool. Also, i don't need Ethernet because it bypasses the Cable box. So i have HDMI from the TV to the A/V and HDMI from my PC to the Cable modem. I'm keeping Internet but switching to DirecTV, On my HD TV i use HDMI 2 to watch my TV and HDMI 1 to watch the Internet. Just a button away.

13. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    ^^^
    I think you are over complicating things

Just run HDMI from the DirecTV box to your AVR & HDMI from your PC to your AVR

That's what I do and it works great. Very easy to use too.

14. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Is there a reason DirecTV omitted the optical output in favor of coax S/PDIF? It doesn't make any sense to me, since Optical is certainly in more widespread use than coax. Cheaper to implement, maybe?

15. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Don't i have to use HDMI from the cable box (or DirecTV) to the TV?

16. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Personally I run all of my HDMI inputs through my AVR's and then just one HDMI from my AVR's to my TV's. I find that a lot easier to switch sources than switching at the TV. I think there was, or is, some concern about picture quality but I can't see a difference and certainly no issues with my surround sound systems.

17. BLMN

BLMN Mentor

Sep 6, 2011
    Southern NH
    just shut off all video processing options on the AVR and it wont compromise the picture quality, it will work more like a pass through. thats what i do and it has the same picture quality as if the hdmi was straight to the tv. no need for multiple cables like 1 for video and another one for audio. thats the beauty of hdmi :)

18. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Can you post a diagram of your setup? After reading your posts in detail and the other comments, your connections do sound needlessly complex. If your AVR takes HDMI, you don't need another audio connection.

19. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    My A/V does take HDMI, but won't i lose some of the Video processing as opposed to TV to DirecTV?

20. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    HDMI provides superior sound quality as well as 2 way communication for web-based sound...and 7.1 vs 5.1 available for fiber optic......optical is on the way out