1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H23 - Landfill Bound?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nerfjames, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    So, the accountant at my office is this nice older lady. (For the purpose of this story, I will call her Tonya) Well about 2 years ago her ex-husband was murdered. And for one reason or another she had the unfortunate responsibility of cleaning out his remaining possessions from where he lived, including some D* equipment.

Tonya had heard that another coworker of ours was going to be upgrading her D* service soon to HD and donated his old receiver (an H23) to our coworker. Well that coworker wound up not upgrading to HD. So the H23 has sat in a closet at our office for 2 years.

So after 2 years, I asked about the H23 and was told that it was mine if I wanted it. Upon trying to activate the receiver, D* informed me that they couldn't activate it due to the previous account holder's account being in "bad status". Upon speaking with a very friendly manager at D*, he informed me the equipment had been reported stolen. I of course had no idea, and immediately offered to send D* the equipment. The manager was like "no no, we don't want it, give it back to whoever you got it from".

After speaking to Tonya, she said she doesn't want it back either.

So how on earth do I avoid making this receiver go to a landfill? Does it have any value to anyone?

Even if D* would activate it now, I no longer have a need for it, but I just feel awful throwing it in the trash.

Thanks for your input DBSTalkers.

-nerfjames

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I would try to send an email to Ellen Fillipak (sp?) or call the access card department team. Preferably the former though.

3. nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Kevin, thanks for the reply. I'd be happy to email Ellen if someone has an email address for her.

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I am 99% sure it's Ellen.fillipak@directv.com

A quick google search will confirm that

5. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Why throw it away? You can recycle these items pretty easily now...

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Her name is actually Filipiak, but the format is right.

7. nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I have sent Ellen an email.

8. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Good luck for you and Tonya.

This is one of those strange enough cases that the normal CSR scripts might not cover. You are doing the right thing by pursuing this so accounts can be cleaned up, posthumously. Good for you.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Thanks, I had a feeling I was off with the spelling every time I typed it.

Kevin