1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H24 frustration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hatchet, Jul 12, 2010.

1. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    I can't get these things to connect to my home network!!! I've read the boards and tried the suggestions and, nothing.

My HR24 in my living room has been connected to my network since the install. I loaded Directv2pc on my computer and was able to see the DVR (even though the content wouldn't play b/c my monitor doesn't support HDCP, who knew?). I have two PS3's that show Directv2pc in the home menu.

I'm using an older router (Linksys WRT54G) but is pretty much an old faithful as far as routers go. The H24's are wired (not wireless) and I do have MRV activated. I have switched ethernet cables, they are brand new. I have tried to manually assign the network settings to no avail. The error screen says the H24 "sees" my network but no internet. I get the IP starting with "169" (or whatever number) that someone mentioned in another thread suggesting the H24 does not recognize the router.

I consider myself fairly tech savy and can troubleshoot a lot on my home network. All of my other devices are connected on my network with no problems, but not these things. My frustration is at an all time high with this problem, the handshake issue with the H24 and my Sony LCD and the recent rain fade experience.

Help before I cancel :flaiming.

P.S.

I think the error code was 71-73-113 but I'm not sure. It was yesterday and I'm at work now. Also, I did read on the board (but searched and can't find it again) where it was stated the receivers come setup with DECA by default and if you go wired, you have to disable that. Can someone please clarify?

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Make sure you try a different port on your router, as ports can go bad.

Did you reset your receiver after you connected the ethernet cable? They default to coax (DECA). If the ethernet cable is not attached on startup, it will not switch over to ethernet without a reset.

3. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Sorry dog, I was editing.

Yeah, its not the ports as other devices have been working (I've switched them all around).

I have also done the RBR several times to no avail. I'm thinking it might be a "sequencing" thing, i.e. power down receiver, then router and power back up in sequence but the H24's wouldn't connect when I input the network settings manually so maybe not :confused:.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Once you plugin the ethernet cable the internal DECA is disabled.
    I'd start with one H24 and reset the network defaults. Next I'd try the "connect now" to see if it will find your router. The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is a sign it hasn't and is using the internal IP address.
    You might power down your router for a couple of mins before doing this, so it will reset. This has been a problem for some.

5. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Thanks VOS, my confusion is with the manual settings and why that is working as well. The HR24 shows up on the LAN "client" list but no H24 so, at least in theory, things should be working. What are the odds I've got two H24's with bad ethernet ports :(.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Any receiver can have a defect, but two at the same time? This isn't that likely and this could be something as simple as a poor ethernet cable, or simply the receiver's network settings too.
    We've had a poster with this and their cable turned out to be the problem, even though their laptop would work with the same cable.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "But" you are mistaken. The H21/23/24 do connect for TVApps, for one thing.

9. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006

10. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Learning VOS is a quicker typist than me :lol:.

11. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    If your receivers have 169.254.x.x addresses, they will not be able to access the internet. The receivers need to have an IP address on the same subnet as your router, usually 192.168.1.x.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Forgot about the apps, thanks.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006

14. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Yeah, I gotta try any and every thing so I will.

In a working setup, does the H24 and HR24 show up on a network like any other connected device?

Like I've said, I can currently (well not right now as I'm at the office) see every device connected to my network, whether it be wired or wireless. That includes PC's, laptops, PS3's and the HR24.

:confused:

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If it's getting the IP from the router, it will show up. If [like your H24s] it's using an internal IP, then no.

16. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    In Windows7 they show up a "MediaShare Renderer"

17. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Call me "old school"...I'm using XP. But the DVR shows up in the router control panel as DIRECTVHR24 (or something similar).

Nothing seems to explain why forcing the settings manually fails to work as well. Why won't the receiver come off its internal IP, i.e. what causes the receiver to do this?

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Reset network defaults". When you go with the manual settings things tend to get weird.

19. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Is this a legacy system? Why not use the built in DECAs on all the receivers/DVR and pick up a broadband DECA to bridge the cloud to the router? Might simplify things.

20. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    That's what I was thinking assuming he has SWiM.