1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

h25-700 to battery

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ken28e, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    I have installed a slimline 5 lnb dish at my deer camp and all is working well. I'm trying to shave off a few watts of power as I'm using battery power. The h25-700 I'm running has a ac converter with output of 12 volts dc. I want to direcly wire to a battery instead of using an inverter from the battery to change to 120 ac then back to 12 volts dc like I'm doing now. Is anyone aware of any problem with this, maybe with voltage going down from 12.7 to 11.2 as the battery is used. Thanks Ken

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I would assume the wall wart has a fairly precise regulator set at 12 volts. It's certainly large and heavy enough, GRRR. There may or may not be a 'soft start' feature on the power pack, or may be something with the effect of an inrush limiter, and a 12volt lead acid battery won't be as benign.

12.7 to 11.2 might work just tickety boo, but I'm not thinking anyone with an engineering degree is going to 'sign off' on what you want to do.

And a simultaneous connection to a charger (which might run up to 14.4VDC, if not higher) is going to be a definite no-no.

If the power pack is noticeably above ambient (don't have one handy to feel up) I can see you wanting to save a watt, but being out in the boonies with a dead sat isn't fun either.

3. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    Thanks, great point about the charger I didn't consider that. If I try it no charger will be connected. Ken

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Be sure to use a wire that is the basic same size as the current power supply. My son installs high power stereo units in cars and trucks and he talks all the time about the size of the wire and how important it is to pass the required amount of power to those units. A larger wire would allow much more to flow to the unit and that would be bad and too little would not allow enough to get to the unit.

I have a Kill a Watt hooked in the system to my HR24 and Vizio. I know this is not the same but I have seen the power go out and the voltage get down to 90 and the HR24 is still going. If you relate that to using 12v and it dropping to 11v, I think it should work without a problem.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My guess (and that's all it is, a guess) is that inside the H25 the 12 volts is regulated down to something lower. I doubt it will matter much if you feed it 11, 12, 13 or even 14 volts in. I don't have an H25 to dig into to check on that.

6. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    Thanks all, unless someone stops me I'm going for it. I just ordered an ac converter for the cord. I'll put a 1-2 amp fuse and battery clips on it and test at home before I head up north. Can't beat football Sat, Sun, and Monday nights. Ken

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Let us know how it works.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    not seen schematics of power DC-DC converters of the model, but knowing other similar devices with many internal voltage rails I would assure you: each one has own VR chip/components,
    I would say: there shouldn't be issues when your voltage going from 11v to 15v; I would check it for you - I have everything to do that verification but the model of receiver

9. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    I'm running Direct TV ac adapter model EPS10R1-16 to H25-700 receiver.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Can you make good picture of tech info from its label ?

(it wouldn't disclose acceptable variation of the +12VDC line though, if I would get the receiver in my hands I would run it from lab power supply and measure all VR at different input voltage [11...15 VDC], but ...)

11. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    This.

The regulators inside the power supply will take care of over/under voltages.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    inside of the brick is only one VR for +12VDC; I'm talking about VRs inside of the receiver and its input [+12 VDC] tolerance

13. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    That is what I meant as well.

14. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    Thanks for the replies.I went another direction. I mounted the new adapter at camp and bought a dtv remote so all I bring with me is the dtv box. I also bought a 19 inch led tv that with a few picture adjustments I got down to 8 watts.So I am now using 28 watts total with the dtv box and 21 volt inserter included. I just ran a 92 ah battery 18 hours 40 mins.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Very cool.
    Thanks for the experiment and successful outcome.

16. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    To confirm, you are pulling 28 watts total, all of it through an inverter powered by a 92 AH battery, correct?

17. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    Correct

18. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Ken,

Check the other thread, I posted some info there and will update it when I get a chance to do more tests.

Have you considered going to SD? With a 19" display that would probably look just fine, and you might be able to reduce your power draw by only using an 18" single LNB dish. I'll do a test with that dish tomorrow and post the result comparing it to the 5 LNB dish with an SD receiver.

Also, consider maybe putting some charge back into your battery during the weekend. You can do that either by charging from your vehicle, or set up a solar panel. 15 minutes charging from your vehicle would probably give you at least a couple of additional hours of run time. A 45 watt solar panel would give you 3.75 amps of charging current at full capacity, enough to not only power your setup but charge the battery at the same time.

19. ken28e

ken28e New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    WI
    I've had poor results with solar have two 18 watt panels.I'm supposed to get 2.4 amps @ 15 volts. With the weak fall sun and tree cover I could only pull 260-330 ma @24 volts.SD would be fine if I could just pick up a reciever and dish to put my card in. Possible problem I don't get sat 119.

20. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You'll need to get new card for a different receiver ($20 from DirecTV). SD will only need the 101, and an 18" round dish only looks at 101.