1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H25 and tv no longer working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by obeythelaw2004, Jul 8, 2012.

1. obeythelaw2004

obeythelaw2004 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I have had Directv now for about 4 months. I have one HD DVR in my living room and two H25 HD receivers in two bedrooms. I also have the whole home DVR and have one of those swim devices.
    Anyway, last night I was watching TV in one of my bedrooms, turned it off, went to sleep and this morning went to turn on my TV and I am getting "No Signal." The receiver lights up. So I switched that receiver to the other TV in my house with the same HDMI cable and it works so it's not the receiver or HDMI cable. My question is, what else can it be? I replaced the other receiver just for gigs and that receiver won't work on the TV so I have guessed that it is either my TV and its HDMI connection or there is a problem with the wire coming into the room from the satellite dish? I have not touched anything. And like I said, I was watching TV fine last night. All of my other TV's work in the house. Since the H25 only has HDMI or stereo connections and no component I don't have any spare stereo connections to test if its the HDMI connection on the TV that crapped out or a signal issue.
    Has anyone seen this before? I think I've tried all possible solutions.

2. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    You could be dealing with a dying tv. Since you were able to move the problem H25 and get I to work eleminates the H25 as being bad. Do you have the ability to use the H25 in its original spot and try a different TV? Before you moved everything did ou try resetting the H25? If not maybe hook I back up and connect it and see what happens. Sometimes power cycles or (RBR) fixes things.

EDIT I see that you put the other H25 in the original location and got the same results. I'd say you have a bad TV. Does it have more than 1 HDMI? Try the other one if it has more than one. I had a TV that I turned off one night turned it one the next day and it worked for all of about 2 mins before the screen started to shrink to the point that I only had 1 line of picture showing. Wierd stuff happens.

3. obeythelaw2004

Mar 14, 2012
    I am going to bring the other tv in from my other bedroom and hook it up there and see what I get. I did unplug the receiver and also reset it using the red button when it was connected to the tv and nothing. Also, just for clarification, the "No Signal" on the TV is from the tv. It is a Westinghouse.

4. obeythelaw2004

Mar 14, 2012
    Well, I think you solved it! I took the other tv from the other room and set it up in my bedroom and it works! It has to be the TV. I have had it for about 6 years and it wasn't the greatest tv in the world. I'm curious if the component works on the tv however. I can probably give it away.

5. obeythelaw2004

Mar 14, 2012
    Nope. Just one HDMI connection. It has component and stereo as well. I may pick up cheap stereo cables just to see if that connection on the tv works. It's weird that the tv turns on and there is power to it but the connection won't "see" the cable.

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Hook the H25 back up.

Using your tv remote can you get a volume or menu display on the tv?
    If no your tv is likely broke.
    If yes make sure you have the correct input selected for the H25 use the front panel button(res) to cycle the resolutions(480i,480p,720p,1080i).
    If some of them work go into the setup menu on the H25 and take out the ones that don't.
    If none of them work the HDMI conection on your tv might have gone bad. You can use a Bluray to test that.
    You could also try chasing down a DirecTv Tech to get the specialty cable to try component.

7. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Your HDMI on the tv sounds like the culprit. I agree about being weird. I said the same when my tv died. Check out the link below. It is for the component dongle for the H25.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=H25+component+cable+directv&_sacat=0