1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H25 as Genie client?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by harperhometheater, Oct 11, 2012.

1. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    So could this footnote at the bottom of the new DirecTV Genie webpage mean the H25 may get an update to allow it to be a HR34 Genie client?

"Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time. Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo.) To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required."

http://www.directv.com/technology/genie?footernavtype=-1&lpos=header

2. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    HUH? That makes no sense. My H24 and HR24 interact with my HR34 just fine. Now if that is hinting at what I think it is then Directv is already aiming at limiting their new install receiver choices to C31, H25, HR34, Tivo, and the upcoming HR44. I don't think it will be long before everything else out there will be considered legacy. LOL, just a reminder though that in Directv's eyes all receivers are equal. Once again the bean counters are making the company decisions for maximum profit and not necessarily the benefit of the customer.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I suspect this is probably the more likely situation.

4. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta

First, I have the same suspicion regarding the HR34 / HR44 / H25 / C31 / Tivo.

Second, I suspect that everyone with HR2x DVR's is going to find out what BOHICA means.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Why would you suspect HICA-ing?

C31s can see and play programming from HR24s with the latest national release. H25s can play programs from HR34. HR24 is still less expensive than HR34 Genie, so I'm not sure why I'd need to BO.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Before "someone" pees all over this, the C31 can play recordings from the HR24, "but" you need to have the Genie for it to be part of the network.

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, that is true and I could have been clearer on that.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    OK, now back to the original posted topic. Does anyone think there might be a SW download which will allow the H25 to act like a Genie client, i.e.- trick play, etc.?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    No, the C31 is an RVU client, which the H25 can't be with software. The H25 is a MRV client, meaning it's limited to recordings.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It is not technically possible, so no.

12. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    Thanks VOS, I completely understand the difference, but the key words were "act like", meaning maybe figure out some SW trick whereas at the H25 if you hit "pause" instead of record it sends a signal to the 34 telling it to "tune to channel xxx, record it, then play, then pause"? I understand not full or true trick play, buy you get the drift. Maybe something like whenever you power on the H25 it tells the 34 to tune to the same channel if there's a tuner avail and each time you change channels it follows you for instant "rewind"?

Whatever, maybe just wishful thinking when I saw it, but hey I'm not the one that let the Genie outta the bottle and I DO get 3 wishes don't I? ;)

13. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    i would think it easier for DirecTV to validate a USB stick to enable trick play on H25...

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :lol: you can always dream.

The nature of the code differences are too great for this to be reasonable "at this time".