1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

H25 Install Question (I think)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bungi43, Apr 8, 2013.

1. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    First...if I were to call up and order two regular HD boxes, is the H25 what I'm going to get?

Reason I ask: I moved about 7 months ago to a large property that has a pole barn on it. The pole barn is heated, etc...but its' about 200 yards from my residence. I want to add two HD boxes to it (there is an apartment type setup in it, and then I want one in the rec area). I don't want to pay DTV to come out and hook it up, as I know how to allign, etc.

My question would be which Dish would I need (I have access to two Dishes that have been recently hooked up to HD) and would it have to be SWM and what settings?

When I called DTV they don't seem to want to give me much info, because I haven't ordered the boxes yet. I apologize if this exact question has been asked. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    It doesn't have to be an H25, I just figured that's what they'd send me.

Might look at an H21-200...that seems the simplest way to get two HD receivers and hook them up with minimal issues. I know that one of the dishes is the wide HD one with a 3LNB I think.

4. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    Used H21-200's that is, obviously.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV might not send you the receivers for self install. if you truly want to do this yourself, order them via www.solidsignal.com

6. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    I think I'm good. My father in law has an owned receiver he doesn't use, and I found an older HD receiver that matches one he had as well on ebay for about 50 bucks. So I think I'm going to go that route, because I'll be using his old dish and I will be able to work the setup.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Make sure that ebay receiver is in fact owned and can be activated when you buy it (check the RID with the access card department). You will need to get a new access card for it also (about $20).

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  9. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    I knew that, but thanks again for the heads up.