1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H25 to stacked mode

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Philmn, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Philmn

Philmn New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I am thinking of buying an H25 and I live in an MDU that requires each receiver to be put in stacked mode. I have a SWM switch installed so we only need one wire. I noticed on the H24 and H25's that there isn't an Active button on the front panel. I know that in order to put a unit in stacked mode you push the Active and Right buttons simultaneously on the front panel. Since the new receivers do not have the Active button, how do you put them in stacked mode? Is there a new button combo or a new numerical key you enter from the remote in order to make the change? Thanks

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

The H25 only connects to SWiM lines. No stacked mode available.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    :welcome_s

Your post is a bit confusing. By "stacked mode" and that you live in an MDU I assume you mean the "frequency stacking used by the old MFH-1 systems.
    If that's the case SWiM systems do not use frequency stacking and the H25 only works with SWiM.

But what's confusing is you say you have a "SWiM switch installed."

Can you clarify?

4. Philmn

Philmn New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not 100% sure of all the equipment between my unit and the satellite dish but it could be an MFH system. I know that the building was built in 2007 so everything isn't very old. The dish is a Slimline 5 LNB dish. I had an HR22 installed a couple years ago and in order to get HD and have more than one receiver I had to install a SWM switch and we had to do the Active and right button combo to get to the LNB options and select stacked mode on the receiver. I know that if the receiver is not in stacked mode and multiswitch is picked instead of SWM on the satellite setup I can get a response from all odd numbered transponders and nothing on the even transponders. So it needs to be in stacked mode in order to change the voltage or whatever needs to be done to get all the odd and even transponders. Otherwise I get all 0's on all transponders. The HR22 that I currently have is in stacked mode and working fine on all channels.

Since it is an MDU nobody at D* seems to have any idea how to program the receivers in order to get them to work. I'm trying to figure out how to get the H25 in stacked mode so I don't have to pay the contractor that setup the buildings system another $150 to come out here and just hit a few buttons.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This still doesn't make much sense.
    "Stacking" was done with the older KU only systems, where the even TPs were "stacked" above the 950-1450 band [used by the odd TPs].
    The Slimline dish is Ku/Ka, which already uses "that band" for the HD channels.
    For these systems, they changed from "stacking" to the Single Wire Mult-switch [aka SWM], where the switch acts as a pre-tuner for up to eight receiver/tuners, so these are output on eight different frequencies [970-1790].
    This type system was barely out for '07, and more likely in '08.
    I don't know of any H/HR2x receiver that has the old "stacked" function, while they all work with the SWiM systems.

Since it doesn't look/sound like, you do know what type of setup you have, calling the operator may be the only way to get another receiver connected.
    "Even if" they do use a SWiM type system, since there is an eight tuner limit to them, you really need to call them so you're not trying to connect the ninth tuner to "their system".

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes I agree, I'd like to help more here, but none of this adds up;

MDU with a SlimLine-5?
    Frequency Stacking?
    SWiM switch installed?
    HR22 in stacked mode?
    :confused:

The Active + Right arrow on my HR22-100 brings up the System Diagnostic screen and there no option for any stacking listed there. :nono:

OP is just going to have to contact the system operator of the MDU for more information before I (or "we") can help.