1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H3 and DLNA

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by wje, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wje

wje Godfather DBSTalk Club

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    Haven't seen any recent posts. I just tried streaming an MP4 vid to my TV via my H3. "Unexpected device error". But, I have two other devices connected to my TV that can also support DLNA. Both work fine. Has anyone actually gotten MP4 streaming to the H3 to work? BTW, I'm streaming using Win10. I also tried MOV format (which is really MP4 anyway). Works on both other devices, H3 gives 'unsupported' error. Annoying.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did you consult with dish tech support first to check if the feature available in current FW ?

3. icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    I use Servillo media server on my home server to serve up my videos to my H3. MP4's and MKV's work just fine as long as audio encoder for the mp4 is AAC or AC3. MKV's work with AAC or AC3 audio encoders. Occasionally even a AAC encoded video will fail to play on H3. I don't know why, I just use Handbrake to transcode it to AC3 and it plays ok after that. I have never had a AC3 encoded file fail to play, so the vast majority of my videos are MKV with AC3 audio.
    The audio encoder used is the thing I have discovered that determines if its going to play. The H3, and older Hoppers, have limited audio decoding ability. AC3 is probably the most widely accepted audio encoded format accepted by the most media players.
    Use Media Info or some other free program to see what audio encoder was used on your mp4 that will not play.

4. wje

wje Godfather DBSTalk Club

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    Thanks for the info. The particular MP4 I tried used AAC. Converted it, works fine now.

5. icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    Excellent