1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hampton Roads Independent TV station, WSKY, to be yanked off DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Jtaylor1, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    From VARTV:

Sky Television's WSKY-DT is being pulled off of DirecTV's local-in-local (LIL) service at midnight January 1st, 2009.

2. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    That is ridiculous. I mean if DirecTV is the sports leader, then they need to keep WSKY 4. They carry Old Dominion University basketball, Norfolk Tides (AAA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles) baseball, and SEC football and basketball in the area. If they drop WSKY, we might have to change providers because we can't live without our ODU basketball in our house.

3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    i just replied to the email link i dont want to see this channel go :(

4. keithtd

keithtd Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Mid Atlantic
    Just saw the ad on WSKY, and they're offering their programming for free to "D"! I'm going to write "D" until I get an honest "non-canned" response.

Wonder what other stations are going to suffer this demise?

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    It's kind of a shame that when some stations and station ownership groups are playing hardball to get a lot of money to rebroadcast *free* TV, some stations offering their signal completely free are getting crowded out.

6. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Seems like if they are offering it for free, that it would fall under "must carry" and D* would be required by law to carry it.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I believe you've hit the nail on the head here .. probably it's no longer being offered for free and as a result .. no "must carry."

8. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

Is their signal strong enough to get via an OTA antenna?

That's one possible "work around".

It sounds as though their rebroadcast fees to D* are the real issue.

9. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Huh! I was reluctant to consider switching to E* when my D* contract expires this September because they have had numerous issues with removing local stations. But this is the first time I've ever heard of D* pulling this. :rolleyes:

10. Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
    I can get it find over the air in Newport News.

11. keithtd

keithtd Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Mid Atlantic
  12. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    They have no analog signal. Right now, they are on digital UHF4 but moving to 9 in February...

13. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    I don't know if I can get it. The way we have our antenna pointed now I can't get it with the antenna we have, but because we could get it from D* in SD I never bothered to try and mess with the antenna to check. I mean when we setup the antenna, WSKY-DT didn't even exist. It became operational about a year after we set it up. Also, I doubt I could get it with our antenna until they move from channel 4 to 9 since our antenna is UHF only.

14. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    I thought I read on avsforum that the move from 4 to 9 had been delayed a year or did that change and no one posted an update over there.

15. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    I can pick up the digital signal fine from my house in Portsmouth.

16. rhipps

rhipps Legend

Apr 7, 2008
    Virginia
    Sure enough it's gone as of this mroning. Somehow I missed all the previous traffic about ths subject. Bye to SKY (sniff).

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't know all of the technical details, but I believe there is an annual filing period for "must carry." If WSKY is being removed from DIRECTV it could be as simple as a clerical error, but since the date for filing has passed there is no recourse .. Hopefully a different arrangement can be worked out ..

18. keithtd

keithtd Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Mid Atlantic
    WSKY was'nt telling the entire story according to a Pilotonline article, " WSKY-TV, based in Chesapeake, missed its deadline to reapply for "must-carry" status with DirecTV, so the satellite service sent WSKY a letter saying the independent station would be dropped from the line up, station owner Glenn Holterhaus said Tuesday.

After missing the deadline, the station offered DirecTV "retransmission consent," granting the satellite company permission to transmit WSKY's signal at no cost, Holterhaus said. DirecTV declined, he said."

Full article here http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/directv-viewers-wskytv-channel-4-goes-dark

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Correct. WSKY didn't comply with Must Carry rules. Another post here a few days ago indicated the number of stations that would be coming down due to not applying for Must Carry

20. Machpelah

Machpelah AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    WSKY blew it big time. I bet their advertisers are not happy about losing DirecTV viewer ship. Frankly, it was in WSKY's best interest not to loose the DirecTV rebroadcast. Someone at WSKY is probably out of a job over this screw up.

No great loss. Once WSKY stopped broadcasting the Orioles games, I never watched it anyway.