1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Happy 4th of July!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1 of 18
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    May everyone have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July!

4th of July activities (parade, fireworks, etc.) have been rained out in our area for the first time in 34 years so our 4th will spent cooking on the George Foreman grill inside while watching the Twilight Zone Marathon on Syfy..

2. Jul 4, 2013 #2 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Back atcha, and same wishes to everyone: Happy Fourth!!

My area is @ 107, and may put a degree or two on top of that.

I do know it rained big in Cinncy, as the BB game was postponed.

3. Jul 5, 2013 #3 of 18
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Actually, it's called 'Independence Day'.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #4 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK.

But I think we are allowed to use casual terms when they're widely understood!

Happy Day After Independence Day, then!

5. Jul 5, 2013 #5 of 18
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    is it?

I give you this to consider:

6. Jul 6, 2013 #6 of 18
    TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Happy 14th of February? Happy 17th of March? Happy first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox? Happy 11th of November? Happy Fourth Thursday in November? Happy December 25th? I think not.

Every nation has a Fourth of July, only we have an Independence Day holiday/celebration that falls on that date.

7. Jul 6, 2013 #7 of 18
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    except our government chose not to call it that when they drafted up our legal holidays in 1870 & again in 1938. They chose to reflect names of other holidays but that particular one, could it have to do with the fact that the USA did not declare their independence from Great Britain on July 4th?

8. Jul 6, 2013 #8 of 18
    TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    The Independence Day holiday celebrates the official adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress, which occurred on July 4, 1776.

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 18
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    happy blow stuff up but not your fingers day :)

10. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    There is some question about if even that date is accurate. Their is some evidence that suggests the Declaration of Independence was not signed by everyone (and as such officially adopted) until August 2nd.

The question still remains is why did our government choose NOT to call it Independence Day but fourth of July when they drafted up a list of holidays? Why is it a large number (possibly even a majority) of our country calls it Fourth of July and not Independence Day?

11. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Are you sure about this?

The Philippines celebrates July 4 as their Republic (independence) dDay to commemorate their independence from the USA (the date it ceased being a US Territory)
    Rwanda has Liberation Day on July 4th as well which commemorates the end to 1994 genocides.
    North Mariana Islands celebrates liberation from Japan on July 4th

12. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    It is pretty much universally accepted that the DoI was not signed by all on the same date, which has absolutely nothing to do with the date of its adoption by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776.

13. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Seems I've provided you with a nice little hobby. You're welcome, and happy two days past Independence Day!

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    and Happy Sixth of July to you!

15. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    All that I know is that I had a six day work week this week.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On July 4th I had family over and we got into a discussion of what the younger generation would do without electricity. Most of my family thought they would be lost without the Internet, let alone electricity. The power goes out and the kids can't Google (or Bing) how to turn it back on.

(Check the breaker panel to see if it is just a popped breaker ... then follow the wires (if visible) to see if there is any obvious damage ... then call the power company and report what you know. The power company's number can be found in the phone book, if you have a print version. Or a recent bill if you're still getting one.)

Happy whatever ... as long as you're happy. (Sorry Mark.)

BTW: "The current U.S. Code uses both names for the holiday." Since I'm living today and not in the 1870s I'll accept the day as Independence Day.

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Since we're splitting hairs here, July 2nd is when the Continental Congress voted for separation from England. July 4th is when the document was written. John Adams was of the opinion that July 2nd would be our national holiday but it didn't work out that way.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    From Snopes (emphasis added):
    Congress approved a declaration of independence on July 2, 1776, and John Adams expected that to be the most important date in American history. The official Declaration, however, was approved two days later by a committee

I don't celebrate the day I got my marriage license. I celebrate the day my marriage became official. :)