1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Happy 9th Birthday DBSTalk!

Discussion in 'News' started by Chris Blount, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    It was 9 years ago today it all started. Many thanks to all users and staff for making this YOUR satellite resource. Cheers!

To help celebrate, check out the inaugural episode of The DBSTalk Show - DIRECTV Edition. Discussion here

[youtube]IYxwRAG0yMs[/youtube]​

2. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Many happy returns of the day! And thanks for making the site such a great information resource and a great place to exchange ideas.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    [​IMG]

Happy birthday, DBSTalk. You get both a cake and ice cream.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW!

It's hard to believe that it's been 9 years since DBSTalk was birthed...and my oh my how it's all grown up now. :D

Thanks and congrats to those who founded it (Chris) and those who continue to make it the premier information site for satellite-based provider services.

5. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Congrats DBSTALK :goodjob:

I love this site.

The best of its kind on the net!

6. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Happy birthday to my favorite site!

7. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    +1

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I can't believe it took Chris 9 months to join his own site.

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    And as he is user #1, that means nobody must have posted for the first 9 months. ;)

Heck, I would have spammed up the joint. :grin:

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    A little bit of trivia.

The actual creation of the site took very little time. It was on a service called EZBoard. Later we moved to VBulletin. There was another satellite site at the time that was having issues and I thought it would be fun to start up another basically to see what happens. After a few weeks I realized that DBSTalk was starting to grow legs. After a month or two I brought on my first moderators.

BTW, there were no co-founders. Just me. :)

11. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY and THANK YOU!!!

To a satellite newbie like me, this site and those who do what they/you do here, have made it not only an incredible resource but a wonderful place to visit.:)

12. Kevin L

Kevin L AllStar DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Southwest...
    Thanks for a great site. Happy Birthday!

Kevin

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Something tells me that you didn't forecast 80635 members and several million posts only 9 years later. :D

Whether its the graphics, the forums, the threads, the photos, the First Looks, the FAQ's, the posts themselves....getting better all the time.

...and then there's the thankless, tireless, thousands of volunteer hours...especially the Moderators.

Equally important...there have been many thousands (including me now for 6 of those years) who have benefited and grown in their enjoyment of satellite services viewing thanks to DBSTalk.

This is no small accomplishment.

14. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    LOL, yeah no kidding. I almost hate to admit that there was no grand master scheme to make this site the size it is now. But, like many other ideas that are executed, it has to start somewhere and small is usually the best place to start. :)

I will say that this place would be nothing without the fine people who visit here every day and contribute their time to helping others. The mods here are also some of the best people I know and it's an honor to work with them.

15. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks Chris and DBSTalk.com for the great place to hang out and learn a few things. I joined a little over a year ago and have been hooked ever since. (Just ask my wife. :) )

There are a lot of things that make this a good place for info and the main one is how it is run, the Moderators take great care of the place and keep it a friendly "family" place to be. I never have to worry about what is on the screen when my daughter looks over my shoulder to see what I am reading or writing.

Thanks again and Happy 9th Birthday!!

16. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Happy Birthday!! :goodjob:

I will say this, usually the sites started with the sole intention of being a resource and help to everyday people are the ones that take off, grow and become highly successful ones :D

17. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Happy Birthday to my most visited stop on the internet, and thank you Chris for all your hard work to make this all come to fruition.

----------------------

Chris Blount
    Creator of DBSTalk

User# 1

:)

18. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    Happy 9th Birthday DBSTalk.com!! I have enjoyed my (multiple) daily visits to the site, so informative on so many different levels and in so many area's.

~Ed

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Happy 9th DBSTalk.

Thanks Chris. :)

Mike

20. Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr AllStar

Apr 4, 2007
    I don't post much, but I read this site every day. It's been the most valuable resource for understanding the technical details of DirecTV technology, trends and current events and what's new at DirecTV. All new DirecTV subs should be directed to this site, it would be worth it for DirecTV to promote it.