1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Groundhog Day 2013 - Early Spring

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    It's Groundhog Day and time to break out the sunglasses!

Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary signaled an early spring this morning after failing to spot his shadow, reports the Associated Press.

Gobbler's Knob was quite the sight, with visitors gathering at a rural Pennsylvania hilltop to watch the groundhog of lore predict the weather.

Beginning in 1887, this is Phil's 126th year on the job. In the past, the Weather Prophet Extraordinary has seen his shadow more often than not. However, he has only been right about 39% of the time, according to the National Climatic Data Center. Maybe it's not the time to pack away your winter coat just yet.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Just flipping a coin let's you be right 50% of the time.

3. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Can't come quick enough.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I don't think we had anything more than one good cold snap this year. I won't say it has been shorts and T-shirt weather weather either but for most of the winter, my jacket has stayed in the closet

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    77 in Charlotte a few days ago, high in the low 40's yesterday.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Our local groundhog in Raleigh Defintately saw his shadow yesterday - 6 more weeks of winter (ugh)....

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I never object to an early spring or extended fall, or even when the two more or less meet limiting the cold winters.

It's the long, hot summers I could do without.