1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Ronald Reagan Day!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2003 #1 of 11
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Well, not yet, but it just may be if this catches on across the country.

Reagan's 'holiday' gets wide support
    By S.A. Miller
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20030130-92477.htm

A resolution that would create an annual Ronald Reagan Day to pay tribute to the former president was introduced with bipartisan support yesterday in the Maryland Senate.

The legislation would set aside Mr. Reagan's birthday, Feb. 6, as Ronald Reagan Day. He was born on Feb. 6, 1911.
    Thirteen of 14 Senate Republicans and four Democrats signed on as sponsors to the resolution introduced by Sen. Alexander X. Mooney, a District 3 Republican.

The resolution recognizes the 40th president's accomplishments, such as rekindling a spirit of patriotism among Americans and lessening their tax burden. it also credits him with reinvigorating the nation's military and boosting America toward victory in Cold War with the Soviet Union, which collapsed during the term of his successor George H.W. Bush.

Ronald Reagan Day would be a day of homage, but not a state holiday. "It would commemorate a man the senator and many Marylanders consider our greatest president," said David Talley, Mr. Mooney's legislative director.

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. lent tentative support to the resolution yesterday. "Sounds good so far," Mr. Ehrlich said. Mr. Reagan was "a great president."
    Some Democratic lawmakers were squeamish about supporting a Ronald Reagan Day.

2. Feb 6, 2003 #2 of 11
    George_F

George_F Legend

Dec 25, 2002
    No thanks - Last time I visited Capital Hill I couldn't walk through DC without seeing this man's name everywhere already.

Reagan Airport
    The Reagan Building
    Reagan Republican National Center

There are others. Bridges and highways are the talk now.

So, the guy who avoided facing the AIDS epidemic gets his own day, but Carter - who won the Nobel Peace Prize - gets nothing. Sounds fair. :rolleyes:

It would be ironic that such a topic comes only days after Baby Bush announces $15B in help to Africa for AIDS ... but I digress. Maybe Bush was mending fences to pave this newest development.

3. Feb 6, 2003 #3 of 11
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Yassar Arafat won one too. Kinda deflates the relevance of that award to me.

4. Feb 6, 2003 #4 of 11
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Do we have an F.D.R. day? No Reagan Day till we have an F.D.R. day!!!

5. Feb 6, 2003 #5 of 11
    RandyAB

RandyAB Godfather

Apr 4, 2002
    I always thought that was the reason for Presidents day, or as most schools call it now "Presidents Week", since they get the entire week off of school.

6. Feb 6, 2003 #6 of 11
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I know they celebrate President's day in the south so they don't have to celebrate Lincoln's Birthday specifically. I also thought that was all encompassing of all presidents?

7. Feb 6, 2003 #7 of 11
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    President's day was created because the birthdays of Lincoln and Washington were so close. Back in the old days (when I was in school) they were separate holidays a week apart I believe.

8. Feb 6, 2003 #8 of 11
    Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm a huge Reagan fan. But the last thing we need is another special 'day'.

As for AIDS, Diane Feinstein (mayor of SF at the time) didn't do too much to help; even with it exploding in her city. She kept the gay bath houses open for one...

Remember, AIDS was still very new and not understood in the 80's. All you have to do is watch Eddie Murphy Delirious:

Eddie doing his AIDS routine:

Doctor "Mr. Murphy, you have AIDS"
    Eddie: "AIDS?!?" "But I'm not a homosexual"
    Doctor: "Sure you're not a homosexual"

To the screaming laughter and delight of the audience.

So I'll let both Reagan and DiFi off the hook for that one.

9. Feb 6, 2003 #9 of 11
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Our morale and our economy was at an all-time low by the end of the Carter Administration. We had huge inflation and unemployment. We had munitions to last less than a couple of weeks in the even of a conventional war. A 2-bit country was holding embassy personnel and our country hostage, for more than a year. Our rescue attempt ended in more tragedy, embarrassment and depression. If that's not enough, we were resigned to listening to disco music and wearing flaming-collared leisure suits.

Regan turned all this around. He lifted the nation, he lifted the economy, he lifted a technology boom that last over two decades. He won the Cold War. His legacy is a five-fold increase in the number of democracies that are now in the world. His legacy is the 10 Eastern European countries that today added to the 8 from earlier in the week that are supporting the US coalition against terrorism.

Thanks Mr. President!! :D

10. BobCA

BobCA AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    Regan deserves his own day for being President about as much as he deserves an Oscar for his acting.

He spent countless millions on nuclear weapons that can never be used, and now we have to spend millions more finding a way to get rid of them safely.

Regan-omics sucked! President Bush (senior) paid dearly for the aftermath of Regan's economic polices. This shows how short sighted Reagan was. He did not consider the effects his policies would have on the economy long term.

As George F stated in a previous post, Regan's handling of the Aids crisis in the 80's was appalling. He turned a blind eye and let people die because aids was considered a "gay' disease back then. Isn't it fortunate that most Americans are far more compassionate and did not follow Regan's example, they give millions each year for Alzheimer's research.

Carter may not have been an effective President (we agree there), but his actions since have shown him to be a far more kind, loving, compassionate man than Regan could ever hope to be.

11. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Well we could have a special day but when asked when it was, we would just say "I can't recall" while planning a secret suprise party in the basement of the White House - decorated by shredded confetti. Entertainment
    would be a Reagan string puppet show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.