1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive controller suggestion

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I need a hard drive controller for my computer, but really have no idea about them, so I'm looking for a suggestion. It should connect via PCI-E, and have 7 SATA 6bps connections on it. I'll be connecting an SSD boot drive, a Blu-Ray burner, DVD burner, and 4 mechanical drives. I need everything to run at full speed. RAID is NOT required.
    If it matters any, I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

2. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If I got the 6 port card you mentioned, would I be able to transfer files back and forth between drives connected to the controller card, and my SSD drive connected to my motherboard? That's one of the limitations of my current motherboard-the 6Gbps SATA drives can't communicate with the 3Gbps SATA drives.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Oh ! If it's a bug - you should replace the motherboard.
    Actually, you did something wrong - hard drives cannot communicates - only programs could (via CPU,RAM,DMA,SATA controllers) do that.

4. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No, I've talked to Asus, it's not a bug, just the way they designed it. I discovered it when I went to use Wipre my hard drive using Boot N Nuke. DVD drive on the 6Gbps connector couldn't communicate with the hard drive on the 3Gbps connector. I talked to Asus, and that's the way they designed it. Had to do some major swapping around after that.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sounds like someone is try fool you.
    PC has many different channels to communicate with drives: IDE, SATA, SCSI, floppy interface, USB, firewire, etc - all devices working together.
    And again - the communication goes by programs via CPU,RAM,DMA, etc.

If you transcript or FAQ or Q&A from Asus about the mobo, post it here - your description of some problem is not correct for sure.

6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It's out of warranty now anyway. I could upgrade, but kinda waiting for Ivy Bridge and Z77 boards.
    If I could somehow get those 2 other connecters to communicate with the others, I wouldn't even need a controller card.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You still keep it a secret :) - what MB model you got ?

8. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
  9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I don't see anything what could be such issue:

10. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    the likely cause is that the disc you booted in your DVD drive did not have drivers for the sata 6g ports controller chip. I have run into that with some usb3 controllers... Requires new boot disc, not controller...

11. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I've never even heard of a set-up like that. I think that whoever you talked to was blowing smoke up your you-know-what. No one in their right mind would purposely design a motherboard like that. If your mother board is working like that then it's a design flaw and Asus is just refusing to admit that they screwed up. Every hard drive and optical drive should see each other and be able to transfer files back & forth from each other regardless of how they are connected.

12. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    ?????????
    If that's true than how was I able to back up files to blank DVD's last night? How is it I am able to copy backed up files from optical discs I've burned to new hard drives?

13. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I don't know, maybe. Seems like a horrible design flaw to me too. Course, if it's just a flaky board, and they replaced it, I'd just get some refurb garbage with who knows what else wrong with it. I'm hoping I have the money to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, which would obviously bring a new motherboard with it. I need the additional storage NOW though.

14. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    The motherboard should have come with a disc that contained all of the drivers needed. If he lost it he can go to Asus' web site & download them. He should go any way & see if there have been any updated drivers released. A missing or outdated driver can cause all kinds of problems.

15. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    You didn't by any chance change anything in your BIOS did you? You can really screw things up if you change the wrong thing in the BIOS.

16. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. This is what they offer: http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58D_Premium/#download What would I want?

17. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Check out the 3Ware / LSI Controllers I've been using them for years and they are great reliable performers. I use their Caching RAID Controllers which are a little more money but to me worth every penny. www.3ware.com

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Don't bother with deepening HW-SW relations if your PC is working OK.

It's just came from OP controversial description of unknown problem.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    +1

I have an Asus P8Z68 with 9 SATA ports from 3 vendors on the board (Intell, jMicron & Marvell) running 2 SATA DVD-R/W, 2 SATA SSD on 6GBPS (raid 0) ports and 3 mechanical hard drives and everything sees and reads/writes to everything fine.

The OP's board is a couple gens old (P6), maybe they screwed something up on it although it doesn't make any sense. Some of the mixed vendor SATA ports on the older boards had to be configured in a strange way to work with the other ports IIRC.