1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive corruption message??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rdowdy95, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1 of 18
    rdowdy95

rdowdy95 Legend

Mar 13, 2006
    Hey guys,

Wife called me and said DVR HR20-100 or whatever it is froze up completely and remote was unresponsive. Classic behavior after an update. LOL! POS!!! Anyways she did the RBR, and when it rebooted it said something about the hard drive being corrupted or something I can't remember what she told me. Anyways it said it was going to run some checks or something on it and see what it can do. So if I was at home I would of unplugged the external drive and the unit itself and then plugged in the esata external drive then 1 minute later plug the DVR back in and see what it did.

Anyways she just let it do its checking of the hard drive so who knows. Anyways anyone had this problem before. I have an esata kingwin enclosure and a 1TB Western Digital Green Sata drive.

Thanks

Robert

2. Mar 4, 2009 #2 of 18
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Be prepared that depending on the kind of check that it is running, it could take a really long time to complete .. as in multiple hours .. So let it run overnight vs. trying to stop it at this point.

3. Mar 4, 2009 #3 of 18
    totalchaos

totalchaos New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    When I got home from work I had same message on my tv screen. I hit the RBR and it rebooted and now it seems to get stuck on step 1. I did see it reboot again and try step 1 again but hasnt got passed it. Wouldnt suprise me i have bad hard drive.

4. Mar 4, 2009 #4 of 18
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Letting the process complete is the best course of action.

5. Mar 4, 2009 #5 of 18
    DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    This happened to me a week or two ago, and I've seen several other posts over the past several weeks. Mine happens to be an external drive, but I just haven't had a chance to hook it up to something else and test it. But the recent rash of drive issues seems kind of odd to me. :scratchin

6. Mar 4, 2009 #6 of 18
    rdowdy95

rdowdy95 Legend

Mar 13, 2006
    Okay thanks for the reply guys. It could have something to do with the new update. I will wait to see what it says. I told her to just leave everything alone till I got home so I am going to check on it now. I will prolly leave it going overnight, and if anything just use the internal harddrive till I figure out what is wrong with it.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #7 of 18
    totalchaos

totalchaos New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I was happen to be downstairs to see this message on screen something about bad hard drive. Didnt catch the rest of it because it rebooted to hello message and went to check system and then to step 1. I have feeling it keeps doing this after being stuck on step 1 for long time. Oh Yeah mine is HR21-700

8. Mar 4, 2009 #8 of 18
    johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ

9. Mar 4, 2009 #9 of 18
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    johnp37,

You're certainly welcome to make your own choices. What has happened here is that the HR2x has determined that the HDD is in an unreliable state and corrective action is being taken to improve the situation. The alternative is of course to do what you suggest, but your suggestion also guarantees all recorded programs are removed.

Also, keep in mind that the Thread Starter is using an external HDD that is not even supported by DIRECTV. Perhaps part of the reason for the lack of a "RELIABLE SERVICE" is due to using this unsupported drive.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    johnp37,

Don't forget that this device is basically a purpose built PC. The OP as Doug pointed out has a 1TB drive attached to it in non-Antec MX-1 enclosure, that probably isnt the problem, but if the drive or the power to the enclosure burped, it may have to run an entire drive diag routine. It could take quite awhile on a 1TB drive, depending on how full the drive is.

11. rdowdy95

rdowdy95 Legend

Mar 13, 2006
    Hey guys I let the thing scan the hard drive. It was about 50% full and it took about 8 hours. 4pm - 12am. I just played some Xbox 360 when I got home last night. Man GTA4 is addicting. Anyways yeah I switched the A/V Reciever to TV and then it was doing the classic step 1 of 2 so I switched back played some games.

10 minutes later TV was back on. I checked my list and it had all my recordings intact. Now here is the thing though. This drive has been going for about 14-16 months. Maybe less than that, but I know I have had this drive doing its thing for about a year. The esata enclosure I have is a Kingwin Enclosure, and it doesn't have any fans on it. I read that someone else was using one of these when I got it. It has a thing metal aluminum that the heat dissipates to the outside so it is warm to the touch.

Anyways this Antec MX-1 enclosure is it like the best out there or is it what most of you Directv folks recommend. I mean I want this 1 TB to last. Do you think the drive itself just got out of sync with the unit itself that it caused errors then the scan drive thing was a way it could check the drive for errors and possibly defrag the drive??? I mean that wouldn't actually be bad to run one of these hard drive checks like once a year or something? Anyways tell me more about this Antec MX-1 enclosure. This Kingwin has been going pretty strong for a long time. Like I said about 14-16 months.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Great to hear things checked out ..

As for recommendations, I would suggest the Western Digital "My DVR" or the Seagate "Showcase DVR" series.

13. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    There have been posts in the past month where this is happening to people with internal drives too. Of course, internal drives can (and will) fail as well. It just seems to me like there's been an increase in these reports since the last firmware release.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    rdowdy95,

I have several of the Antec MX-1 enclosures, used on my media PC's as well. I think its a really well-built case, comes with all the cables you need, and it's actively cooled. I wont buy an HD enclosure that isnt. Here's a link and you can read all about it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008&Tpk=antec mx-1

I dont like the off the shelf units for the most part. You don't necessarily know what drives are in the things, and many are not actively cooled. Look at all the posts here about failed FAPs, etc...

DarinC,

while I agree completely with your info about increased reports, you also have to realize that these things are getting older, and the installed user base is constantly growing, so the number of posts dealing with failures will increase, most posts here are about issues. Just like a PC, one day when it reboots the HD is not going to spin back up properly anymore. As these units age, the number of reports are going to increase about HD failures/issues after the "last firmware" update. So IMO, you cant really tie the failures to the firmware updates, its just a side effect of the unit doing the reboot.

We all need to remember that lets say you left your pc on for 2-3 years, sometimes going months between reboots, then one day you decide to do windows updates, it needs to restart, when you do you get a blue screen due to bad sector/issues with the HD. You don't automatically blame the Windows updates do you? The hard drives that go in these DVR's are really not any different than the HD in your PC, they will and do get errors.

Does anyone even keep their main PC for 2-3 years anymore? LOL

15. rdowdy95

rdowdy95 Legend

Mar 13, 2006
    I really like the Western Digital brand. I used to sell those drives when I had my computer business. I will look into the MYDVR model by them if this drive totally craps out on me.

Hopefully it will be like one has said if this latest firmware update maybe it just wants to make sure our HDDs are working good with the latest software/firmware update. Guys, especially Doug, I don't post here that often cause I normally don't have any problems with Directv or the HR20, but just wanted you all to know you are doing a great job of helping people like me and the rest of us who have problems every now and then.

God Bless,

Robert

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Robert ..

17. rdowdy95

rdowdy95 Legend

Mar 13, 2006
    CCARNCROSS. Very insightful post. Let me give you the link of the unit I have been using for the past 14 months or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121035

That is my enclosure. Very good post though about how these things are pretty much left on all the time. I think the DVR itself did a great job scanning my Hard Drive for errors and fixing it if there was any problems. I actually need to just get caught up on all these shows so it won't be a big deal if it fails. I just will be angry if I don't get caught up on all my shows.

Burn Notice, Damages, The Office, American Idol, Life on Mars, tons movies.

I am caught up on Lost and Heroes. Also last night while I was working used my cellphone to record Lost to the bedroom DVR. It is a R15 model DVR Standard Def. Nice features my DTV to record things from net and from cellphone. I need to look into that computer program Directv has that does networking.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    rdowdy95, while in general I see nothing wrong with the case, its fanless. I'm not willing to risk cooking a drive so I have zero fan noise. Many of the off the shelf solutions, Like Seagate FAPs, MyDVR's etc, are all fanless, they have no place in my setup. Heat is one of a hard drive's worst enemies. The number of threads here reporting failures of those off the shelf solutions just leads me to believe a fanless solution is not as reliable. At least the internal drives are cooled by the DVR's internal fan.