1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive MPEG4 space not 50 Hours

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DJF, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 4, 2006 #1 of 19
    DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I recorded 31 hours of MPEG4 only, and it says 5% available.
    Mostly network prime time dramas, Leno and Letterman.
    I have only HD programs- nothing with a lot of action.-no reality-no SD, no MPEG2.
    I noticed this before, so I reformatted, and forced a new software download.
    I have Dolby digital turned on. I have verified no recording is longer than expected.
    Is it possible I have a smaller hard drive? Or is it possible what I assume is MPEG4 is really MPEG2? How can I tell? Are the MPEG4 locals next to the standard def channels in the Guide, or are they up on higher channels?
    I now have, (with the last software release) no other problems with the HR20, that I know of.
    :confused:

2. Dec 4, 2006 #2 of 19
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You do not have a smaller hard drive, they are all the same.

All MPEG4s are next to the sd in the channel guide.

The 50hrs is an estimate...

It is possible that some of the shows are at a lower compression level then others.

One way to check to see what is taking up space, is use the mark and delete feature, you will see the bar reflect the space that is being used by those marked to be deleted.

3. Dec 4, 2006 #3 of 19
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Wouldn't it be nice if it would show you the % of HD taken up by each recording when you goto the details screen for each individual one?

4. Dec 4, 2006 #4 of 19
    Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    The 50hrs is an estimate...

Yeah but 31 and 50 hours are a little off don;t you think?

5. Dec 4, 2006 #5 of 19
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well yes, it is off..... but, I have had 40+ hours on mine at times.

To the OP... how did you determin that nothing "recorded" long an take up more space?

6. Dec 4, 2006 #6 of 19
    DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006

I have already watched them, and deleted-without watching the Leno and Letterman. Before deleteing, I clicked on play to see if time added up coerrectly.
    The shows I watched, had exactly the correct time.

7. Dec 4, 2006 #7 of 19
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The "time" displayed on the bottom, doesn't necessarily mean it didn't record more then it should have.

I would suggest the Mark and Delete method, to see if you can identify which one of yoru recordings is grabbing more then you think it should.

8. Dec 4, 2006 #8 of 19
    DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I have not used the mark and delete feture yet. How do I tell if it is a lower compression level? Almost all shows are all CSI's, Hereos, all Law and Order's, Boston Legal, House, ER, Bones, Medium, etc.

9. Dec 4, 2006 #9 of 19
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You can't, there is nothing in the system to tell you want kind of compression level things are at.

10. DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    How do I use the mark and delete method?:confused:

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    While you are in MyPlaylist.

Hit Menu

The select Mark and Delete.

As you "select" items, you will see your space indicator change in colors, to show how much free space you will gain, if you procedeed with the delete.

Just be sure to "Cancel", so you don't delete those selected programs.

12. DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks. I will try it tonight. We now have only 2 hours of recording stored, so it will take a while to add more recorded programs. I'm guessing it is more accurate as it fills up.

13. coolhdtv

coolhdtv Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    If you don't have anything set to "Keep" you can toggle "Keep" for different One hour recordings to determine which is the hard drive hog by viewing the darker line within the space remaining line.

14. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    It bases the % free based on how much each show is currently taking up. So if you have only MPEG4 recordings, and they're all high compression, and you start recording a bunch of other MPEG4 shows that are lower compression (e.g. take up more space), then it will appear to "fill up faster".

As has been mentioned many times on these forums, the MPEG4 (and I think MPEG2) HD shows are variable bit rate, and the compression level varies by network, show, etc. So it's only an estimate. Granted, for marketing purposes, they probably based the "50 hours" on a lower average bit rate than what you're seeing.

But you should be happy, this means D* is using a lower compression rate, and hence we're getting a better picture. :)

I'd rather have 30 hours of high quality HD, than 50 of shotty looking HD, personally. If you want more space, go get a 750GB SATA drive and an eSATA cable and enclosure :)

15. DJF

DJF New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I now have 9 hours programs recorded.
    Seven 1 hour shows (give or take 2 min each) MPEG4 HD, and one 2 hour movie MPEG4 HD (Polor express)
    All have the same size color darkened when I use the Mark and Delete function.
    I also marked all as "Save until I delete" as suggested by coolhdtv, and the colors look different, but still, no program looks any different size, than the others.
    Why would the two hour movie have the same size darkened bar, as a 1 hour non action program like the Letterman Show? (more compression?)
    The ODD thing is, when no programs are marked as "Save until I delete", the available space is 74%. When I mark one, or all, as "save until I delete", I have 71% available space. Look like the "Save until I delete" uses 3% disk space.
    That's Ok with me, but odd.
    When I had 31 hours recorded (5% available), all were marked as "Save until I delete".
    AND yes, jkc120, I would rather have 30-33 hours High quality, than 50 hours less quality.
    I also prefer the Directv software over the TIVO, although I only had a SD TIVO.

16. Swartzy

Swartzy Mentor

Nov 22, 2006
    Wow... that's gotta be the FIRST time I've heard anyone say that. I still have my SD Tivo in the bedroom... and aside from the smaller TV it's connected to and the fact it's SD... it's a treat to use compared w/ the HR20.

A #1 on my list is the ability to autorecord searches... I think the inability to do that w/ the HR20 is rediculous.

Anyway... the DTivo I think did a better job w/ making sure you had room to record your shows before you ran out of space. If you had a bunch of shows set to save several episodes and to save them until you delete... your options were limited as it would tell you it didn't have enough space to accomodate additional recordings until you changed some of them... like it was allocating space for future recordings, knowing it had to record them and save them.

I haven't gotten there yet so I'm asking... does the HR20 indicate when a show is destined for deletion for a time before it actually happens or does it just dissapear?

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... the program will be listed with a yellow triangle with an ! in it.

18. 1Indy79

1Indy79 AllStar

Oct 3, 2006
    I actually agree with DJF. Needless to say, the bugs in the HR20 have to be worked out but assuming it achieves the level of reliability inherent in Tivo's, I would take the HR20 over a Tivo any day. It reminds me more of Ultimate TV, which I always preferred to Tivo.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    MPEG4 in real time hasn't reached the point yet where it is yielding a whole lot better result than MPEG2. In theory, it will get there, but it is going to take some highly refined hardware to get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.