1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by parenaj22, Oct 16, 2007.

1. parenaj22

parenaj22 New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    i have upgraded my HD in my DTV DVR and i would like to know if i could use my old HD in my pc its a WD320 and i sure could use the extra space thanks

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Sure. Just format it.

3. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    you might have to remove all of the partitions from it before hand but other than that it is just a regular hard drive that can be used in a computer.

4. parenaj22

parenaj22 New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    i have tried installing it and windows wont boot with it hooked up i have hooked it up after windows boot and its not found so i then go to add hardware and its there but when i try to add pc shuts down and again windows wont boot up what am i doing wrong please hejp thanks.

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    You need to repartition it from disk management. Windows will only "add" drives that are NTFS or FAT. In Windows, right click on My Computer and select manage. On the left side of the window that pops up, select disk management. In this windows you should see your new drive. Partition and format it and you should be good to go.

You also need to make sure the jumper is set for cable select or slave as it is not your primary drive.

6. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Did you remember to reset its rear jumpers.... as master or slave. That's what normally causes a no-reboot situation. Two masters and two slaves on the same IDE really cannot get along!

Once you've sorted that, reboot, click on My Computer, select Manage, then click on Disk Management, find it, delete partitions (if partitioned) and format it. Then you'll have a whole new 300gb (or thereabouts) to play with.

7. JamesInPompano

JamesInPompano New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    What would it take for me to install a 1TB drive, inside of my HR-20-700. Is this an auto pilot thing or do I need to do some kind of strange config stuff?

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

Not sure of the steps to do it but if you do open the unit up to installed the drive you will void your lease agreement and DirecTV could charge you full price for the unit ($750).

9. JamesInPompano

JamesInPompano New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Im a D* dealer. I bought my HR20-700 outright.