1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hardware question about Genie upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gordon Shumway, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I am considering using the PP free upgrade on a Genie due to the age and slowness of my current system. I have a single SWIM LNB going to a 4-way splitter outside the house. Two of those lines go to my primary viewing area. One of the lines goes to my original HDTV receiver (HR20) from 2007, which is still my fastest receiver [​IMG]. The second line goes to a broadband DECA, which is hooked to my Linksys wireless adapter. The other two lines go to the master bedroom. One is hooked to a power inserter, which then goes to an HR22. The other line is unused.

With the 5 tuners on a Genie, will the upgrade require something different in place of the 4-way splitter? Also can it be done outside under the eaves in place of the 4-way splitter? The 4 cables are straight runs to two different rooms, so there is no logical place to add hardware inside easily.

I also might consider one of the mini-clients in the bedroom, if it is definitely faster than the HR22. I don't record tons of programming so I kind of like recording the same programs on both receivers for backup purposes. Any movies only go on the HR22 to save space on the HR20. I've never actually needed the backup feature, so if the client is a lot faster I may just not worry about backup.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If the Genue is a replacement for one of your DVRs, then nothing needs to change. The empty line should be capper/terminated.

One possible issue with a genie and client. If the genie dies, there is nothing to feed the client. So no tv at your house. Not that I've heard that this is an issue now, but it could be in the future.

If you're keeping both DVRs and adding a genie, then they need to replace your LNB and add a SWM16 because you've exceeded the 8 tuner limit in your current configuration.

3. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks, it sounds like you are saying the SWM LNB is good for 8 tuners. That would be good for my worst case of 7 tuners (Genie + 1 DVR).

Any comments on the speed of the mini-client. Is it fast enough to consider foregoing the safety of a 2nd receiver?

4. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Just had my Genie installed this morning.. I will say one thing..

Do not wait another minute to upgrade..Get on the phone right now and get the ball rolling to get the upgrade started.. You will not regret your decision..

I replaced a HR23 with a HR44, it is twice as fast in every aspect of performance. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, LNB good for 8 tuners.

I got a 44 and C41 installed in late-July. Haven't used the client much. It is in the guest room. But programming it and surfing with it a bit, it is very fast. But I've been burned to many times not to have a back up.

6. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I have the exact same situation. I won't use the client as much for sure, but Lord it would be nice to not fall asleep between channel changes. However, I have to decide whether the backup capability is more important. On the surface I'd say yes, but more and more missed episodes can be picked up on the computer pretty easily. I'm more of a reader than a watcher so I'll likely take the chance on the full upgrade. Not having that hard drive whirring in the background in the bedroom is another solid reason for the mini-client. [​IMG]

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    When you upgrade to a Genie, there is no guarantee that it will be an HR44, could be an HR34. No matter they tell you on the phone, they cannot guarantee anything other than a Genie. The 34 is a fine box, just not quite as fast as the 44. So if you want a HR44, you need to either buy it from Solid Signal or another place and get Directv to cover your cost or, when the installer calls as he/she is on the way, ask what they have for you. If its a 34, you can politely request they come with a 44.

I repeat, no matter what the CSR on the phone says, they cannot guarantee a HR44 will arrive.

8. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    I'd say set up the install for just the genie and tell the installer that you've been having issues with the remaining DVR and see if he'll replace it with an hr24. If he doesn't have one, or if he's being stubborn, then have him add the client.
    MAKE SURE you have all of this resolved before he gets started so that if he's being obtuse and doesn't want to work with you at all it'll be that much easier for you to kick him out and reschedule with someone who'll take care of you.

#)

9. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    And the problem with that is what? Is the HR34 some how a far inferior machine to the HR44. Just curious as I never mentioned one or the other in my question about a Genie.

10. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    It is possible to get a Genie and keep both of your current DVRs without going to SWM16. I currently have SWM8 with an HR44-500 and two HR21-700s connected to it. I ran satellite setup on the second HR21-700 and told it to only use a single tuner. The second HR21-700 has an AM21 for recording off air and it will still record 2 things at once if at least one of them is OTA. I am mainly using the two HR21-700s for backup and spending most of my time watching recordings on the very very fast HR44-500.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a 34 and don't regret it. Was still an upgrade in speed. The HR44 is much smaller physically.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Taking care of the installer goes along way......

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    ^ It did for me.

14. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Are you advocating bribery... :)

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Gratuity, bribery. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Unofficial upgrade to HR24, picture of Andrew Jackson.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are you advocating bribery... :)
    nope, more like a compensation for a job well done!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk