1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Harman Kardon receiver won't work with remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by 40yearfan, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40yearfan

40yearfan AllStar

Aug 8, 2007
    Has anyone else been having a problem getting the HR20 remote to work with a Harman Kardon receiver? I can get the remote to shut the receiver off, but it won't turn it on.

Any suggestions?

2. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The RC34 that comes with the HR20 lacks quite a few codes for many components. I had the same issue with my Onkyo receiver(a code would turn it off but not on). I ordered the RC64RB from Directv and it does work with my Onkyo. I dunno if it has the right code for you Harmon Kardon tho, but it does have a LOT more codes in it.

3. 40yearfan

40yearfan AllStar

Aug 8, 2007
    Thanks for the info Chuck, but my HR20 did come with an RC64 remote and it's the one I can't get to work. I even tried an RC24 from one of my H20's and it wouldn't work either.

HK has got such a screwy system for turning their units on and off. You have to have both an on and off button. If I could figure out some way to get the TV on and off buttons on the RC64 to work on AV1 instead of in the TV mode, I might be able to make it work.

I really like my HK equipment, but it's always a problem when trying to use an auxiallary remote with it.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Sorry there isn't a Power toggle available for HK receivers, only discrete ON & OFF commands. And with lone power key on the directv remotes, one of the commands will always be missing.

5. 40yearfan

40yearfan AllStar

Aug 8, 2007
    Thanks Edmund. I'll just have to manually turn it off or use two different remotes.

6. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I REALLY wish the Directv remotes worked this way too. I really don't understand why it would turn the HR20 off, when there is no need to nor does it really do anything other than turn the lights off on the front.

I wonder if the people who design these things even use them in the real world. If they did, they would see it would be much more logical to have it turn off the AV receiver(as well as the TV), instead of the HR20.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A lot of people have expressed concern about the DIRECTV remote, both in design and capabilities. I think if there were a learning version available it would solve a lot of it.

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    And thus the market for Harmony and HTM remotes :)

9. Oct 3, 2007 #9 of 11
    Vcook

Vcook Mentor

Sep 28, 2007
    Surely this is due to HK using descrete codes for both "on" and "off". This is a great feature and more manufacturers should do it, really helps with macros. I wish the "on" button on the remote that power up the DVR and TV would also do the reciever, and likewise with the "off". That would make my day. (referring to the upper right hand buttons)

HK AVR-325 owner, I love my HK.

10. mitchelwb

mitchelwb New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I had the same problem. What I found was that with one HK code, I could turn the receiver on, and with a different hk code, I could turn it on. So now, I use AV1 to turn the receiver off, and AV2 to turn it on. It's kind of a pain that I can't load the DVD functions onto the remote as well, but I have a DVD recorder and don't use it as much anyway, so it works out that I only have to use 2 remotes when I want to watch a DVD... the rest of the time, the one remote works great. And by punching the volume buttons through, the only time I have to switch my remote is when I want to turn everything on, or everything off.

11. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 Cool Member

Sep 26, 2007
    What model of Onkyo are you using the RC64RB with? I have an SR504 and a brand new RC64R that won't control it. Hoping your solution will work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.