1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 1000 & HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by edmartin, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 3, 2007 #1 of 12
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    My Harmony 1000 arrives today. Are there any other HR20 + 1000 users out there with any tips?

I've read all I can here about the 880 (& 890) but the 1000 is a different beast if for no other reason than the screen & hard buttons.

2. May 3, 2007 #2 of 12
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    No tips yet....I just got mine a few days ago and haven't had time to really get in to programming it.....but the HR-20 is in the database for it. I've only had time to do some rudimentary tests, and it seems to be as good at this point as the 880.

3. May 3, 2007 #3 of 12
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I'm new to the Harmony line so I don't have anything to campare it to. So far, I've set it up and have the basics working. It's pretty high onthe "cool factor" but I've got a ways to go before it's great on the "convenient factor".

If someone else chimes in, we should do this in public - otherwise, we can go to e-mail so we don't bore the viewers?

4. May 3, 2007 #4 of 12
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Nah, make sure you post everything about setting up the 1000 with the HR20. I'm sure it will help someone else at some point in the future.

On a side note, I hope a remote that costs more than the HR20 itself is worth it :lol:

5. May 3, 2007 #5 of 12
    JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I came from a Pronto TSU 300 and switched to a Harmony 880. My issue with the Pronto (and why I didn't buy the 1000) was the difficulty working a touchscreen remote one-handed. I had to put my finger over the "button", aim the remote and press. I will admit the 1000 loooks real cool and had I gotten used to a 2-hander, I probably would have gone with it. Good luck with the 1000. Logitech makes a real good, thought-out product.

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 12
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Ah, but it's less if you can get it on ebay for a good deal! :)

7. May 3, 2007 #7 of 12
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Ya, the 2-handed thing is bugging me a bit. I've already found myself doing the 1-handed palm thing holding it over the front and hitting the touch screen with my index finger. I guess it's a trade-off (at least I hope so).

8. May 3, 2007 #8 of 12
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Setting the H1000 up is pretty easy - Logitech really has their act together with the software. Overall, I like it so far.

Some annoyances (which I hope to find work-arounds for or maybe Logitech will fix later):

- The default control buttons for the HR20 is/are missing "List". This is a DVR! List should be over on the right panel where Menu, Guide, Info & Exit are (ya, I know... real estate issues). I ended up defining the "Live TV" button on the left to function as "List". I guess maybe the solution would be to make the text/graphic that says "Live TV" changeable (so it would say "List").

- The center of the screen has a series of typical play, pause, FF, REW (etc). The center button is a huge Pause. Fine, I guess but I wish it would either toggle between Pause & Play or maybe better that it was Play instead of Pause.

- Understandable that the Red, Green, Yellow & Blue buttons are MIA on the main control screen - I relegated them to the "Additional Buttons" section. I wish I could do some icons over there.

- Speaking of icons, the software says that 64x32 is the size of the images to add to the Favorite Channels (apparently the same as other Harmony products). But they aren't. 40x32 is as close as I've been able to get to look right so far (at least the aspect ratio is close) but I don't think that's right either.

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 12
    patseguin

patseguin Cool Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Works fine, but the 1000 sucks. My battery gets fully drained after using it during one sitting of a couple hours.

10. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    With my Pronto, I had to tip the screen so I could read it, line up my finger over the "button" tilt it down to point it at the TV, then press.

11. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I've only had it about 36 hours but I'm seeing good battery life. I brought it into the office today (without the charger - so I'm relying onthe charge from last night) and I've been hacking around on it frequently during the day including updating multiple times. The screen has been on a lot. The battery meter is down maybe 20% (80% remaining) after all of that. I think you've got a bad battery.

12. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    ... and I'm a big fan of the Harmony 1000. Like anything, it takes a bit of work to fine-tune (I can't imagine that the others in the Harmony line would take any more or less) but that's part of the fun after all, isn't it?

Other than the setup in my signature, I am an X10 user - most lighting in my house is controlled by X10. So the first thing I had to deal with was how to get that integrated. I wasn't particularly looking to change the lighting scene(s) based on various activities (though that's now possible) but I wanted to be able to have control of my lighting in-general. For example, when I wake up early, I want to hit a button and get my morning lighting set. If my wife leaves the kitchen overheads on, I want to hit a button and kill them. If we use the dining room, a button and we're set. So, I had to add an X10 IR-543 controller to the mix. It receives IR signals and interfaces with all of the X10 modules through the power lines. I found it for about $25. Then, I just set up a series of new X10 macros on a specific house code (the IR-543 will only work with 1 house code). The H1000 has the IR-543 in the library so it was a no-brainer from there.

The next thing was IR vs RF. I've got everything hidden in a wall unit. So, I bought the Logitech RF Extender. That's when I fell in love with the H1000 (I liked it prior but the RF Extender put it over the edge).

The trade-off with the H1000 is that it's a 2-handed device (downside) but the flexibility of the large touchscreen is the upside. In IR mode, that's a real pain in the butt because you have to point & click which can sometimes result in a need for traction or physical therapy. But add the RF Extender to the mix and run all devices through that and the H1000 + RF Extender combination is a home run (and becomes more like a 1-handed device).

Frankly, I would not recommend the H1000 without the RF Extender. If you're going to take the plunge, get both items (you can find deals on ebay & Amazon). But 2 thumbs up on the combination.

There are a few tweaks that I'd like to see. For example, in prior posts I talked about certain missing buttons to better support the HR20 on a single screen (List and the 4 color buttons are MIA, but easily add-able to additional pages/screens).

The concept of "Activities" vs. the typical "macros" that I was used to with other devices took a bit of time to get used to - but that's a common Harmony learning-curve, not just an H1000 thing. But now that I've got it, I've got Activities for TV, XM, DVD and CD jukebox. And I have X10 tied in as a device for each activity (as well as its own activity) for easy access to all of my lighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.