1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 880 and HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mluntz, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    I'm considering getting one of these. Any positive, negative experiences?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

2. jeffloby

jeffloby Legend

Dec 3, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I have one and it works fine. It setup very easy.

3. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Yep, same here, the Harmony 880 works great with the HR20

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with it. The only odd thing about it is that in order to get any of the functions to work which require you to hold a button down for three seconds (like skip to tick/end/beginning or the straight shot to the sat and info screen by holding info down for three seconds) you have to hold it down for three seconds (I count one thousand one, etc.), then let up, then press it again quickly and release. So, even here, there's just this one extra step to get it to work. Otherwise, it's flawless.

5. L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK Godfather

May 31, 2006
    Best thing since sliced bread!

It replaced a whole basket of remotes sitting on the coffee table.

I was skeptical, I had never seen a remote that can truly replace an original remote and all of the particular functions....it made me a believer!

Took me a while to get all of the soft keys and activities to display and work exactly like I wanted, but have not had to use an original remote since!

The "learn" function on these is awesome too!

6. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    FYI, There is a way to get the Harmony to act exactly like the HR-20's remote, however, you need another remote, something that you can load the alternate codes to and then use the Harmony to learn from it.

See this thread for a little more info...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67603

7. digibob

digibob Legend

Dec 1, 2005
    Mine works GREAT! :D I used to use the HR20 remote for the 30 sec skip but I finally found the FF on the Harmony for the same function. Now I don't use any other remote. I have about seven now. The Harmony even switches my HDMI switch box.

8. TheMoose

TheMoose Icon

Jan 20, 2006
    Oklahoma
    The 880 is great & works with the HR20 with no problems.
    It's a great remote, the only other remote I still have out is the PS3 remote because it's Blutooth.

It's $141.86 at Amazon.com.

9. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Found this on the generl site...Harmony 676 $50...
    Click on Deal Of The Day

It went up $10 bucks today! 7/24

10. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Damn, that's a GREAT price! :eek2: When I got my, it was $100

11. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    my harmony 880 and i have a love hate relationship ... i have two of them and they work great for the most part ... but they have issues with charging... they don't want to sit on the cradle properly.. logitech switched them out for me.. but the "new molds" apparently have the same issue... either way, that wouldn't discourage me from getting one... it has all the buttons you need.. and you can make the programmable buttons on the top operate the green, red, yellow, and blue functions.

12. digibob

digibob Legend

Dec 1, 2005
    That is true. Mine had the same problem. I got a free replacement for the cradle but I still have to set it in the cradle just right. You can tell it will recharge when it beeps and an image of the remote appears on the screen.

13. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks Chuck, I have the same issue as shendley.

I also have an issue with my HR20 activity that startup takes on the order of a minute with the remote (it thinks it's still sending IR codes even though everything is already switched on and to the proper input). Someone suggested doing a "hard reset" on the remote which I haven't had a chance to do yet.

14. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    In the Harmony software, check what you intervals and such are set at. I believe one of them tells it how many times to send each command. It sounds like it may be too high. I set mine at 0, for the both the interkey and the other one, as well, and don't have any issues.

15. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Digibob,
    How did you get the Harmony to incorporate the red, blue yellow and green to the top buttons. On mine, it shows List and Mute on the top left buttons and Aspect on the top right. The two right and left buttons are unassigned..I would LOVE to get them to function as the D colors..

16. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    In the software, when you customize your keys for an activity(make sure you are doing it for the activity and not just for the device), there is a tab for "Standard Buttons"(which is what shows up first) and then "Additional Buttons". Those are the ones that show on the screen. Just redefine those to show Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.

17. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    This thread got me curious about the slight disfunctionality of the Harmony with the functions that require pressing a button for three seconds. So I decided to call their tech support. They immediately bumped me up to what they called their Tier 2 level of support where a very helpful person walked me through a series of procedures to try to get the remote to learn the commands. The only one that actually changed the functionality of the Rewind and FFWD keys (the only ones we experimented with) was a "Learn Raw" procedure that actually made the buttons less functional - the workaround no longer worked; when you pressed the button for three seconds it just kept thinking you were pressing it more than one time.

Anyway, she concluded by telling me that they didn't know how to proceed with the problem without having the hexcodes for the original remote which they couldn't get from DTV for proprietery reasons, but I could (at least, that's what she said). So, perhaps, if I get some more downtime soon I'll give DTV a call and ask them about that. But for now, I can live with the extra keypress. It just takes a little while to get used to. Still, it was interesting to see how challenged the Harmony people were by this.

18. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Digibob,
    Nevermind..I figured it out... yep that remote is amazing...

19. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I have a Harmony 880 and 890. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. These two remotes replace a total of 10 other remotes. I would not have another remote.

20. digibob

digibob Legend

Dec 1, 2005
    It really is a great remote. It runs both the Tivo and the HR20 perfect. :) I wish I could control the PS3 with it. I use the game controllers for BluRay movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.