1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony remote for 622?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scoly, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 20
    scoly

scoly Cool Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Tired of using 3 different remotes so now is the time to step up and get something that will replace them. Have looked at the different harmony remotes but don't have a clue which is best for my setup.
    VIP 622
    Denon avr 2802
    Sony 5 disc dvd
    Would like to do all the usual functions on the factory supplied remotes. Skip forward and back is essential and the ff and fr on the dvr and dvd is used a lot.
    Looked at the 880 but really more than I want to spend and the color screen doesn't do anything for me. Having to recharge it is a drawback in my situation. For my situation what would be the best and why?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 20
    Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon AllStar

Jul 15, 2004
    I can tell you that the Harmony database has the the info for all your components, so pick the one that suits your budget and needs best.
    It's really not practical for a distant 3rd party to make recommendations based on the things you DON'T like... and no budget.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 20
    koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005

Consider the URC 200. It's not computer programmable, but quite capable and I'm loving the nested LCD menuing system. It's considerably cheaper than the Harmony remotes.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 20
    Rodsman

Rodsman AllStar

Jan 29, 2005
    I have a similar setup, 622, Denon AVR-3300, harmon kardon dvd player, etc. and just bought the 890. It was a bit pricey but setup was a snap and this model has it's own base where the battery recharges so that's not a big deal. It works well, and one button will switch everything on, change inputs and the like and you are good to go with sat, dvd and xbox 360!

I still need to configure it so I can use it instead of my DISH remote but with the default settings, it does everything my DISH remotes does right now, I just need to tweak it so the functions are more accessible. Setup is done via your PC and all you do is input the model numbers of your components and there you go.

Now if I can just keep it away from my kids who managed to break the last universal remote I had.

Good luck...

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 20
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree. I have an old Harmony 680 that works just fine with a 622, PS3, DVD/VCR Recorder, Receiver, TV. Research the Harmonys at: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=us,en

and visit Costco.com and search on " Harmony "

EDIT: PS3 is Blu-ray controlled. When I play a game or watch a DVD or BD, the Harmony turns on the TV, and receiver and makes sure the appropriate TV and receiver inputs are selected.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 20
    zeekle

zeekle Mentor

Jun 18, 2005
    I think you get what you pay for with the harmony remotes. I have a 880 and its been very good to me. Its the best remote control I have ever used.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 20
    thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    I use the Harmony 670 to control my Wii, 360, Onkyo reciever, Oppo DVD player and love it. The DVR buttons are laid out just perfect.

-Funk

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 20
    mdewitt

mdewitt AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    I have the 659 and it does everything I need it to do. I think I got it on ebay for $80.

I have :

Sony Receiver
    Westinghouse TV
    Toshiba XA-1 HD DVD

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 20
    nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
  10. scoly

scoly Cool Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Have read the reviews and visited the Harmony site. Hard to tell which remote will do what. Guess the most important to me is skip back 10 seconds, skip forward 30 seconds, the ability to controll tv aspect ratios, and to be able to control zone 2 on our system. We use zone 2 for outdoor sound while we watch through windows.
    nsafreak,
    Thanks for the amazon link. Will the 676 easily handle the zone 2? I know it will turn things on/off but am looking for ease of use with zone 2, vip622 total control, and ability to allow me to get rid of the tv, sat, and dvd remotes.
    Thanks
    Steve

11. lpmiller

lpmiller AllStar

Mar 8, 2007
    all harmony remotes well allow for that. Personally, I think the Harmony Xbox360 remote is far better than the 890's, being cheaper, and having more buttons you can program. Also, mostly 'soft' buttons, which I prefer over clicky buttons. For a similiar remote, the 550, just lacks the xbox buttons.

12. isuzudave

isuzudave AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    Amazon has the Harmony 670 for $79.77. That is a really good price. The 670 is the remote that Logitech says is made for PVRs. I think I will give it a try.

13. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Also take a look at Costco.

If by "zone 2" you mean the UHF Remote, the Harmony is IR only. That said, there are IR to UHF add-ons IIRC.

14. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    That is a hell of a price and you will love the remote!

15. mw1597

mw1597 AllStar

Jan 12, 2007
  16. isuzudave

isuzudave AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    I just started using the Harmony 670. Is there a PVR button it? I can't find it. They say it is designed for PVRs, so I would assume they would put a button on it access your recorded programs.

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    On my Harmony 680 I mapped the RECD button to the Dish DVR button. It seemed intuitive.

18. scoly

scoly Cool Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. Will take a look at the 670. Sounds like it should do all I need. Has to be easy for the family.
    Steve

19. yardbird

yardbird Mentor

May 7, 2007
    I got my 880 for $99 on eBay. Runs my 622, Panny plasma, Sony AV receiver, panasonic DVD recorder. It runs for literally days on a charge and can recharge in an hour although we typically toss it on the charger over night about twice a week. I find the color screen to be more readable than the mono LCD screen on my 676. I have custom buttons on the LCD screen in my "Watch TV" activity ... for instance I can change aspect in either the TV or the 622 .

If I need another remote I would buy a Harmony again. They work. My 79 year old mother can come over and watch TV easily. She just presses the "Watch TV" button. Doesn't get much easier.

I will also look at the URC remotes ... might be a bit more investment in setup time but they seem very versatile as well. And you program them on your PC locally... not over the net.

20. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007

I programmed one of the 6 buttons next to the LCD to be the "PVR" button. It takes awhile to tweak this remote but it is well worth the time spent.

-Funk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.