1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Harmony remote

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by boukengreen, Jan 30, 2013.

1. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    i am looking at getting a Surround system within the next few weeks and i need help in which version of the harmony remote to get so that it controls ps3 when watching blu-rays, DTV, Surround system and TV any help would be appreciated as i know nothing about this stuff

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To control a PS3, you'll need an add-on device that receives signals from the Harmony remote and translates them to Bluetooth signals. It is compatible with all Harmony remotes. The adapter retails for around $80.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm...359581566&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+ps3+adapter

There is another adapter from an outfit known as Schmartz that plugs into the PS3's USB port and accepts PS2 commands from an IR remote. It is considerably cheaper but because it was designed around the PS2, there may be some functionality compromises.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3IR-X1-Infr...359581566&sr=8-4&keywords=harmony+ps3+adapter

I have no experience with either alternative.

3. elinsner

elinsner New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Harsh is exactly right, you need another device to make make the remote work with the Harmony remotes, but don't let that scare you away from them. They are still the best universal remotes out there.

4. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    I have two, a 700 and 650 plus have the Harmony IR to Bluetooth adapter which works well, but you do need to be patient when shutting the PS3 down and keep the remote pointed at the receiver for longer than other components. Of the two remotes I definitely prefer the Harmony 700 because it has rechargeable batteries and it can handle six components as opposed to five. Both remotes are reasonably priced.

5. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    thanks bos that is what i was really after is which version to get but i probly worded it wrong inn the first post lol

6. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    If your in the market for a Harmony, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse........:)

7. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Ah it happens again my second harmony 650 remote has started rebooting whenever I try to start an activity and once again Logitech is sending me a new one lol

8. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    The Harmony Smart Control (actually, any Harmony remote that uses the Hub) no longer requires an adapter to control the PS3 or most other Bluetooth only devices.

I have 4 Smart Control remotes and it is, by far the best Harmony remote I've owned.

8 devices, 6 activities on the remote itself, and I have a total of 15 activities for one setup in the remote app.

$100 give or take for the Smart Control. Amazon and Crutchfield both have it.

EDIT: Also, with the Hub you no longer have to hold the remote in the air while an activity starts or stops. Push the button and the hub sends all of the commands for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk