1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony with HR20 issues solved!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Brantel, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brantel

Brantel RBR Hitit tillit bricksit

Dec 8, 2006
    For those following the Harmony with HR20 threads... I have solved my problems with trying to use the 880 with the HR20.

I got sick of this 880 and went out and got a 676. Got it home and it did the same thing so I started thinking about what is different about my system.

I use a Niles IR repeater system that has a IR sensor and a box that has remote IR flashers that mount on each device. I use this because when I pull down my projection screen, it covers up the front of my gear.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=RCA3&recordID=IR%20Kit&categoryID=Ingenious%20IR&catcdID=5&prdcdID=FG01160

Turns out that the repeater is sending out too strong a signal for the HR20. I played around with masking the IR sensor on the HR20 and ended up blocking about 90% of the signal from the IR flasher to the HR20.

Bottom line is that this fixed all my problems with the Harmony models! They now act just like they should. I can even do advaced trickplay by the hold release press again method.

One note: The factory remote worked fine with the Niles system and so does all the other devices work fine. The Harmony must send a stronger or different signal rate to the HR20 than the factory remote or the HR20 is sensitive to remote commands being perfectly formated.

Now... I have both a 676 and an 880 and the 880 is going back because I like the look and feel fo the 676 so much better than the 880. The rubbery buttons and the texture of the 676 makes it feel much better and easier to use. The layout is also more intuative on the 676. The 880 feels like you are going to break it all the time. The 676 feels stronger and more solid.

I will miss this about the 880: The color screen, more readable text per custom button, 8 soft keys instead of 6 per screen, 8 activities instead of 2 per screen,lack of tilt sensor and lack of clock on screen.

These negatives are not worth loosing the positives the 676 has over the 880. Not to mention that it is at least $60 cheaper even at the discount internet vendors.

2. jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    I solved this by changing the power level for the HR20 device to 2 in the 880 device setup.

Joel

3. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    I have the 659 and it works with what ever I throw at it!!:hurah:

4. BigSey

BigSey DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I second you on the 659. In fact, it seems to work even better with the HR20 than it did with the HR10.

5. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    There is no "power" adjustment. I expect that you are refering to the "number of repeats" function. Default is 3 but 2 seems to work better with the HR20. This had no effect on my original problem.

6. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    YEP!!, The 659 setup is almost dumbie proof!!!:new_Eyecr

7. dukefan

dukefan Legend

Dec 4, 2006
    Had similar issues with the Niles repeater; found if I moved the eye from stuck onto the HR20 to 2 inches back, everything worked great.

8. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    I am glad you guys are getting some better results. I still cant get mine setup for my H20 on the internet yet. I had no problem with my HR-10 250 but cant seem to get the HR20-700 recognized on the Harmony website. I will get it some day but the question is in what year...hehe

9. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    First create a new device "Video Recorder"
    Then
    Select "PVR"
    Then
    Select "DirecTV" as manufacturer
    Then
    Enter "HR20-700" as the model number no quotes
    Then the system should come up with a screen where you have to put a check in the box stating that the model it comes up with for a match is correct.

Thats all there is to it. Then you can customize the defaults for that device.

10. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    I have the 676 as well, and it works great. The only issue I've had is getting used to the overly small directional ring. But I've got the hang of it now by using mostly the tip and fingernail of my thumb instead of the whole fat thing.

11. joekun

joekun Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    If the problem you were having was where it would perform a command twice with only one button push, I saw in one of the threads where someone suggested a delay of 0. I tried this and it seems to be working great for me with my 890 so far.

12. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007

Thanks....... I will give it a shot right now....fingers crossed !

13. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    same thing. I go through all the questions and click the box and hit next. Then tell it to add it to an activity (I have WATCH TIVO) and the following comes up:

Watch TiVo
    None of your devices can change channels .

Click Next to add a device that can change channels .

I sent Logitech an email. Lets see what they say because I am at a loss now...I do appreciate everyone's suggestions and will still try alternatives if anyone has more ideas as to how I can set it up

14. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    Do this after you have a HR-20 device in the device list.

Click ADD ACTIVITY
    then
    Select "No" Add activity Manually
    then
    Select "Watch Television"
    then
    Select "Watch PVR"
    then
    It should allow you to pick the HR-20 from the list of devices that can change channels. Select the HR-20
    then
    Follow the rest of the setup for the activity.

Should work.

15. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    That worked Brantel......Thank You very much......Now I will sleep tonight.....hehe

now to setup the macros and colored buttons which will be easy.......

16. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    do you turn your H20 off at night or leave it on ? I always left my HR10-250 on but this new HR20 has those bright blue lights on it and its tough to sleep with them on....hehe

17. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    Your welcome.

I leave mine on because it was always getting out of sync with the rest of the system.

On the lights straight from the tips and tricks document:

DIM THE FRONT PANEL RING LEDS
    On the HR-20 front panel, press the Left and Right arrows at the same time
    First Press 90% Brightness Third Press 70% Brightness
    Second Press 80% Brightness Fourth Press LED's OFF
    Undocumented! - Update Alert: Dim your LEDs. After an update, they will be bright again! Thank you: dougsmith

18. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks....I ran a search for that question to no avail. I will dim the wheel and see how it goes with it staying on. I have never turned any of my older DirecTivos off before so I was wondering if this one was different....you have been a great help to me today. I hope I can pass it on to another newbie one day

19. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006

No problem.

Tons of good info here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7170&d=1168622966

20. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.