1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone got the new sw release in mass

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bill213, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill213

bill213 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2007
    new software update

2. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    No, I haven't, but my son told me that we got a recorded phone call from DTV yesterday telling me an update was coming. It could be 4 to 5 days if it goes like the last staggered one (west to east).

I assume they stagger it so they can stagger the calls coming into their call center :), but it would be nice if they went east to west once.

-steve

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Staggered firmware rollouts progress from West to East, so MA will be one of the last ones to receive it. If you don't have it yet, then no one else in your area has it either.

4. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    what are the major changes with this version...

Since this will be my first sw update since getting the hr20 -- does the update come overnight and is there any indication that I have it? I remember forcing downloads on my Tivo and looking to see within the info section if anything new has been downloaded. How will I know with the hr20?

5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    You sure this wasn't a phone call about the BBCs? They've been making automated calls to customers informing them that the BBCs need to be connected when D10 goes live. They have never to my knowledge made phone calls informing customers about software updates.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Yes, the updates happen automatically, usually when the receiver is not in use (most likely at night). The only way you'll be able to tell if you have the new version is checking the info page in the setup menu; it lists the current firmware version in there.

You can see what's new in this release by checking the release http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=95570

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Hold the INFO button for about 3 seconds it'll bring up a screen and you can see what version of the software you have and when you got it.
    As for documentation on the changes. Earl posts the notes with each release.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually...
    That call was about the software updates comming for the TiVo platform in 2008

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    In the last staggered release, 0x17E was sent out to the west coast on either Tues/Wed (can't remember) and then on either Thur or Fri it went national to everyone else. There's no guarantee that will happen this time, though.

Early in the life of the HR20, the SW was released to the West Coast (and then later, just LA area) first - if things worked out with CSR volume, etc. - then it was released to everyone else. This usually happened over a few days period. Once the Cutting Edge program started, the staggered releases went away and stable CEs were typically turned into national releases.

More recently, however, it seems DIRECTV has moved back to a staggered roll out. I'm not sure why that is, but it could be that there are just so many folks that have jumped onto the HD bandwagon that they want to play it safe.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Doug that's exactly it. There are a lot.. lot.. lot more HR20s on the market than there were last fall. Even a small percentage of problems is a major increase in CSR volume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.