1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone had this happen?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by SingleAction, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    About 3 times a week or more at prime time when recording on both tuners off of sat local channels, the receiver stops the recording on both channels, and then starts recording again.

So the next day, when I go to watch these programs, there are 4 of them listed at various times. Fortunatly, the receiver stops, and starts again , like a reboot and keeps recording with about a 4 min gap!

Whats up with that?

I'm afraid to exchange it in fear that the next one will be worse, like many here have experienced.

Why can't it be like the 942, which had a once in the while bug? That I can live with.

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Does this happen every day? what is counter #5 and #3 reading on your diagnostic page. Can you provide more information on what exactly you are recording at this time. Is it OTA? have you actually seen it happen or are you gone when it happens. Not sure how long a reboot takes, but it does sound like the box is rebooting during recordings.

As for seeing it, I have not seen it and I do a lot of recording two shows at once and also three shows at once at times.

3. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Ron;

It seems to happen about 3 times a week in the evening during prime time the last couple of weeks. I've seen it reboot itself while we where watching a dvr program while it was recording on the 2 tuners.

I can't get OTA, to far from the Big Apple.

Other times it does this while we watch a dvr recorded program, and appears to not reboot, but the next morning I check the recorded program, and they are still split in 2.

As far as the programming that this happens to, you name it! CSI Miami, CSI NY,and it just did it to Stephen Kings "Desperation", which aired last Tues nite on ABC! That recording was split in 2 with a gap.

I looked at the counters and do not understand what they mean, but this is what is posted: #5- AC PWR/HW WD CNT: 23, #3- OS MONITOR WD CNT: 1:45

4. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    It smacks of being the "spontaneous reboot" that many have suffered. For no apparent reason, the machine just shuts down and reboots. The reboot plus reaquiring the Sats typically takes 4-5 minutes.

5. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    How long have you had your 622? as Saltidawg mentioned it does smack of the spontaneous reboot issue which a box swap has a good chance of correcting. Timer #5 indicates how many times the box rebooted from pulling the plug or I have found this also can accur if your box spontaneously reboots. I have had my new box that replaced the old one for over a month at it current count is at #3. I know I pulled the power at least 1 and we had a power outage so I can account for at least two fo the three.

Count #3 I gather from the cryptic message is an OS WD timer that I would through concern if it had a high count. Mine is at 0.

I personally would recommend starting to work with Dish on getting the box swapped out.

6. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Ron;

Thanks for the response!

It was installed on 04/15, to replace a 942, as per Dish's upgrade deal.

Do you think that it may eventually thru software be corrected?

It seems to be mostly on the sat local channels, and we are now in the summer reruns.

I do get some pixalation on the other Voom, and HD channels, but can live with that. BTW, I have a very good signal on all 3 sats around high 90's to over 100. And as I said before the 942 picture was spot on with the same exact dish setup.

If I can avoid exchanging the receiver, and hope they will correct the problem, via a software solution, that would make me happy.

That's for the help and suggestion.

7. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Never got the Counter #5 and #3 numbers. Need to find the diagnostic menu option under the main menu. If you are having running into the spontaneous reboots, I would say software will not fix it (My guess). If it is happening once a week or so, might want to want to the next update to see if things improve. Swaping a box is a pain. ;)

Pixelization and artificats can both be content and delivery related. A lot of the blocking and pixelization I have seen I believe is content based. HD content quality is all over the map.

8. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Ron; I'm not sure if you said that you didn't get the counter response that I listed for #'s 5 & 3, but it's in the quote above. Why is it that in the past when I call Dish with a problem and want to offer the "diagnostic" info, they don't seem to care, or understand what it means, on both the 942, and the 622?

I'll just wait it out for a while, and see what happens, before I try to swap it out.

9. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Sorry single action. I have been jumping around and forgot you had supplied this info. I am confused on the #3 counter because I thought it was a single value. I would say 23 for a month and a a week is on the high side but I personally would still wait it out. My counter #5 was up to 45 in week and a half.

As for CSRs and the diagnostic info, My guess is this info is only useful for engineers, however, if these number mean something in troubleshooting it would be nice if these numbers were used to get to the problems quicker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.