1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

has anyone ordered from dishbuys?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by discoliveson, Jun 29, 2014.

1. discoliveson

discoliveson New Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Hyde Park,MA.
    dishbuys.com is selling hr44 units for $139.00 and was wondering if anyone has ordered from them. I called them and was told not a refurbished unit either. brand new with access card. they say they are authorized by direct tv. limited time only for this price. any feed back would be welcome.

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Looks legit to me. The fact that PayPal is an option is always a good sign, they guarantee the sale.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    jump on it before is too late

4. discoliveson

discoliveson New Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Hyde Park,MA.
    thanks. I just did.

1 person likes this.
  5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I know they have had too good to believe deals before, and someone bought a genie from them, got it and activated it with no issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Jul 6, 2014 #6 of 75
    discoliveson

discoliveson New Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Hyde Park,MA.
    got to say surprised everything went good. got my new hr44-500 in an unmarked box. pack perfectly so no damage could get done. brand spanking new. this unit was manufactured in 4/2014. so happy with it and only cost me 159.99
    also got 500.00 total credits from DTV because I was out of contract and asked for it. includes NFL package too. installer came yesterday. 2 hour job and everything is perfect. paired up with my other dvr which is a hr24-500 ( love those pace products) hooked up threw wifi on hr44 have internet access and whole home access. I know things don't happen like this all the times but I guess I got lucky. if anyone is looking for an hr44 and want to make sure they get one this web site dishbuys.myshopify.com has them for 159.00 no one else sells them at that price and brand new. they are also a DTV authorized dealer.

7. Jul 6, 2014 #7 of 75
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks for the update. This is good information.

8. Jul 6, 2014 #8 of 75
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Got to say this deal sounds sounds pretty darn good. Which makes me think, where is the catch. You said the receiver came in an unmarked box, that is where refurbs boxes comes in....

9. Jul 6, 2014 #9 of 75
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And hate to tell you this, if you're a Pace fan, I believe -500 is Humax. Pace is -700.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

10. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    The Pace is a better box than the Humax?

11. discoliveson

discoliveson New Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Hyde Park,MA.
    the dtv receiver was in a dtv box that you would get and was sealed. what I mean is they added extra protecting buy putting in a unmarked outer box with extra padding to prevent damage while shipping. it was new not refurb. probably so if it got left at your front door no one would know whats inside. but again it is new, not refurb... sorry meant to say humax. I did my homework in regards to making sure not a refurb. you won't find a price lower anywhere.... call them at 1-800-547-9558 they will answer your questions.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Pace has been popular in the past. Only thing I can say about Humax is that there were differences in their 24 in the color space that caused some users issues.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

13. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I was considering this as I would certainly like to have the additional tuners but don't want to end up with the HR34 as the consensus seems to be to stay away from it if possible. I'm out of contract(for many, many years) but being locked into another 2 years is not an issue, it's more about the performance of the DVR and if I take up DIRECTV on their free upgrade offer I'd be playing Russian Roulette as to which model I would get, hence the interest in a $150 HR44.

14. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    About a year ago I ordered an HR44 from Weaknees for $299. When I called to activate it, I ask if I could get some rebate because I had purchased it in order to guarantee an HR44. They gave me an instant $100 rebate off my next bill and a $30 per month credit for the next 12 months. It never hurts to ask.

15. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    Wow, they actually paid you to upgrade with that deal! :)

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm not sure how it is possible to tell by looking whether a product is new or refurbished. Sure, it is obvious if there is damage like some scratches or something, but if it was well taken care of there wouldn't be any way to know the difference if the refurbishment involved cleaning it and resetting it to factory defaults.

This is true with any CE product you buy, and while legally a company can't sell you a refurbished product without stating that, when you get a replacement under warranty or you're leasing as you do from Directv, they have no obligation to tell the customer. If your three month old laptop breaks and you get sent a replacement, it might be new, it might be refurbished, and there's often no way you could tell the difference. The fine print in most warranties states that they can send you a refurbished replacement without having to tell you.

Perhaps the installers know of a way to tell with Directv, some code on the box or a sticker that is always added to a receiver when it is refurbished?

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps the shining sticker in the back that says "reconditioned" might give that away

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Does anyone really care if it's reconditioned when you'll never own it anyway?

I know I don't care!

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    LOL well I guess Directv is nicer about that than some other companies!

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think this is the law. They might not have to tell, but they have to mark the equipment as such