1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Has anyone seen "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Lord Vader, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The original was a classic indeed. I'm thinking of going tomorrow with a buddy to see the new one out now, but I heard rumors that the storyline is a tad different and goes the route of some environmentalist or left-wing rant about humans destroying our own planet.

When I see a movie for fun and entertainment, I don't want ANY left-wing OR right-wing politicization in it. I sure hope this one doesn't go down that road.

Anyone have any comments about this movie if you've seen it?

2. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    I saw it over the weekend. The original was better and the storyline does go on a tree hugger rant.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Mr. Vader, I think you'll be disappointed with the remake, and if you want less politics with your movies, this one isn't for you.

4. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    i wasted my money on the imax version.

5. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Saw it. Own the Original.

Redbox it. It will prolly be out by Easter.....

6. rrcrosby

rrcrosby Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    We saw saw it last week and really enjoyed it. Not an Oscar movie but well done.

7. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    there's a carneciera near my house where you can buy it for 5.00

8. mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr AllStar

Nov 17, 2007
    Saw it the day it opened and own the original in BD. I liked the new effects and the better tech but at the end I felt I was left hanging. I also enjoyed Mr. Reeves alien performance. At least the original had a constructive message that was clearly illustrated... this one just ended and I was left wondering about the purpose of the visit. It wasn't like the original where at least the scientific community was informed. Didn't even know what happened to Gort... did he make it back to the ship or was he stuck in the hole that seemed to be ready for him? I realize the producer said he didn't really try for a message but it would have been nice to get a little more information. At least my BD disc of the original came with a free ticket to this one.

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    And it's playing in IMAX at the theater next door to my town.

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    So should I see Quantum of Solace instead? :D

11. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    I was really disappointed in the new version. A big part of the original movie was the idea that the robot Gort was given absolute power to destroy life. Now, he has little to do and is literally reduced to an acronym.

To satisfy the title of the movie a few scenes of machines and technology not working are just inserted with no explanation. You'd think with a title "The Day the Earth Stood Still" there'd be more attention spent on that part.

I did like the opening sequence. It had the right amount of information and tension.

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, IF IT DOESN'T STOP SNOWING maybe my going will be moot anyway.

Personally, I'm curious to see Valkyrie, the Tom Cruise Nazi flick. Being a student of history myself, that interests me, even though I just can't see Tom Cruise in a role like that. We'll see.

13. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    I am a major fan of the original it being in my top 25 favorite movies. The 2008 version is not getting good reviews and barely moves the Tomato Meter so I suspected my trepidation about it being a major insult to the original would be confirmed. Anyway, I walked into the movie house trying my best to maintain an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised.

Contrary to reports of a slow start, the suspense built intensely as the government assembled a team of experts anticipating arrival of the space traveler. Yes, it's true Klaatu's here with an agenda to exterminate the human race before we poison the planet. But it's not clear why they would care. I suspect they require a pristine planet for scientific experimentation. The ending makes some sense but somehow leaves something to be desired.

On the production:

The casting is nowhere near a poor as reported; the much maligned Keanu Reeves is effective as Klaatu, Jennifer Connelly as Helen is a competent astrobiologist and Will Smith's son, somewhat bratty, isn't as annoying as reported. John Cleese as Professor Barnhardt doesn't really rekindle any memories of Monty Python.

The cinematography is quite good. The scenes are interestingly filmed much in a Spielberg style and the special effects exceeded my expectations.

I didn't take this as a go green or else but I'm really not into messages from Hollywood. All considered, one of the better SCI-FI remakes of recent history.

--- CHAS

14. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    Actually GORT is the instrument of civilization's destruction .. but he's no going to do this through incineration. And note how Klaatu rendered our planet polluting technologies as he departed.

--- CHAS

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Cruise got clobbered by critics on this one. I'm gonna pass on it.

16. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'll probably still go see it. A movie can still be good even if one of its lead actors is terrible in the role. I just can't see Cruise in this type of role. He seems too hip and modern and therefore not believable enough, for such a role.