1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Used A DVI Splitter Yet.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bowtieman, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowtieman

Bowtieman Legend

Aug 12, 2003
    I have a high definition stb that utilizes DVI. I am thinking of getting a DVI dvd player and will have to purchase a dvi splitter of some sort to make this work.

The ones I have seen on the net are a little pricey. In the neighborhood of 230 to 250 bucks. Is there one out there a little less money of comporable quality.

if you have seen or have one could you comment on what difference you notice between dvi and component cables on a dvd player as far as PQ goes.

2. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Generally it's said that DVI and Component cables are extremely comparable in quality, but YMMV.

Component is analog. If you have a CRT TV, it's said that the CRT needs analog anyway, so even DVI (digital) is converted to analog, so in that case, might as well use component. But if you have a plasma or LCD, those take digital signals so DVI is better, as Component must be converted to digital.

IF you still need a DVI splitter, you could try eBay. Actually, you probably want a DVI "Switch" which has a switch on it to choose which signal to send to the TV.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    By the way, I wouldn't bother with a DVI DVD player since DVI is no longer standard (never was anyway). HDMI has replaced DVI as the digital interface of choice.

4. Bowtieman

Bowtieman Legend

Aug 12, 2003
    After doing some research I was able to find this switch from Pacific Cable that looks like it should work just fine.

It has two major pluses. (1) It is HDCP compliant. (2) It has a remote to switch between dvi devices ie: DVD Player with DVI and STB with DVI. The price is $215.00 dollars. The best price I have seen, so far, and it comes with a remote to switch between devices.

Here is some more information from the site and the address to the site.

The DS-21R DVI Switch allows two different digital video sources to share one video display. Our unique switch allows easy switching between two different digital video sources with remote control unit or manual switching button. Perfect for home theater systems. No more hassles of manually plugging in different DVI connectors to view two different video sources. (e.g., DVD and Satellite receiver).

Technical Details:
    Frequency bandwidth: 1.65 Gbps (Single Link)
    Supporting Graphic Resolution: UXGA (1600 X 1200 at up to 85Hz) (1920 X 1080 at up to 70Hz)
    Inputs: Dual DVI-D Female ports
    Output: DVI-D Female port.
    Power supply: DC 5V, 2A Adapter included.
    Dimensions (W X D X H): 6.7 X 4.75 X 1.2 Inches.
    Weight: 1.35 lbs.
    Infrared Remote Control Included
    HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) Compliant.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DS-21R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.