Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JBernardK, Oct 15, 2007.
Or they could just go cold turkey on one day, and move them all...
The only thing holding legacy customers back at this point is switching to the new receivers. Folks that want to stick with the legacy receivers will be stuck with the legacy technology (SD MPEG2). It's not like the channel will be unavailable, just the HD version will be unavailable (ESPN, ESPN2, etc.).
I was just thinking of a way of staggering the required customer upgrades. Clearly the flood will be sports customers, so migrating the non sports customers from MPEG2 HD sooner would seem to solve a couple of issues first (eg. bitstarved ESPNHD)
But that would actually then "pro-long" the swap out.... and would be no benefit to DirecTV.. (Aka if they move a few channels, and then increase the bit rate... then can move forward with their other plans)
Glad to hear this as well... It'll be nice to have only one dish on the new house next summer. :allthumbs
I currently have the older equipment, partly because I have severe LOS problems at my house, and I have to combine two dishes to get 101,110 and 119. When Directtv moves their current HD to MPEG4, what would I lose with just one dish picking up the three satellites around 101, and would D*'s installers perform such an upgrade without being able to pick up the other two satellites?
Well not exactly. I have been a customer for 11-12 years. I installed all my own equipment, wiring and dishes. I have known all along about the upgrade but so far I have not upgraded. Reasons:
1. I have the option of FIOS where I live. FIOS/TiVo series 3/HD is a viable alternative.
2. There is no compelling content on the new HD channles right now. I can't watch everything I record now anyway.
3. The new dish is big and ugly and I would have to move to the roof which I don't really want to do.
4. If I make a 2 year commitment, I am stuck with D* for two years (note: to get a reasonable price for TiVo service would mean a 3 year commitment too.)
5. The HR20 is a big step down. I was almost convinced until I read the post where Earl asked what people don't like about the UI.
So for ME, there is not a clear choice right now. I get everything I want and have no commitment. Moving HBO or ESPN to MPEG4 would force a decision and I'm not sure what it would be at this time.
It would be nice if they would place the LA DNS HD stations on the new Sats...about 90 % of my recordings are on these stations. Could save some serious space on the DVR if it moved to MPEG4, not to mention better picture. I have yet to hear anything definitive yet on when the HD DNS channels will move....likely next year I assume???:eek2:
To your point #2 above, that's part of the legacy receivers still being able to receive the legacy programming - it won't be SD. And as you stated in the end, you will have to make a choice .. That's pretty much what I was saying .. It won't be long until you will have to choose to either (1) stick with the legacy receiver and get legacy programming (SD MPEG2) or (2) move to the HR20 and have access to all available programming.
Increasing SD picture quality should be job #1. The drastic compromise of SD that happened when they used CONUS Transponders for SD LiL needs to be reversed. Even though they went to spots, the just added channels or stole for HD. Time to undo that, even if it means dropping some things.
I remember when D* SD was better than OTA in many cases. 640x480 with little compression. Now it's a very lossy 480x480 and looks awful on a big screen. Compression artifacting and smearing all over that meager 480 across.
Please, please bring back the old stellar D* HD PQ.
And, note that I still have an HR10. Trade those mpeg2 channels for better SD any time.
There is no question that I will choose HD. It's just that the choice is between staying with Directv or going with FIOS/TiVo. A lot depends on when Directv moves all to MPEG4 and what new HD FIOS offers, as well as what new services/hardware TiVo comes out with. It should all shake out by next fall at the latest, I hope. But as I said, for my requirements, it does not make sense to upgrade now.