1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Dish service improved, or was I just lucky?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TheFoxMan, May 20, 2010.

1. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    I just had a surprisingly good experience this week with a service request to realign my antenna after re-roofing the house. My first surprise was that the roofers got it lined up better than expected, and everything worked fine for a week or so until the shingles settled and my signal level dropped too low on sat 119 to get the 9-day guide (44-hr guide is available on 110 and 129, both of which had low but useable signals). Anyway, back to my Dish service surprise, I called late Tue night to ask for a technician to come out to realign my dish and asked about cost and options considering that it was my own undoing since I had the roof replaced. She had me check signal levels on each satellite to confirm my suspicion of why I couldn’t get the 9-day guide, then she suggested I sign up for the $6/mo service plan and pay only $15 for the job rather than $95 without service plan. I asked if that covers something I did to myself, and she said yes, it covers everything. I was prepared to wait a few days to get scheduled but had the choice of AM or PM the very next day. I picked the afternoon slot since it would free up my wife in the AM. The next and biggest surprise was getting two calls from the installer to keep us informed of his expected arrival time. He arrived when we expected him, completed the job quickly and professionally, and we got two different survey calls from Dish within a few hours to rate our experience. I don’t know if we were just lucky, if Dish has taken a giant leap in service, or if they give priority service to customers who have their service plan. Whatever the case, I've decided to keep the service plan... for awhile anyway :).

Sorry for the long post, but I thought this might be worth sharing.

2. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    That is the type of service I got when they added BBCA HD and some other HD channels a few months ago. My mixed 61.5/110/119 installation didn't cover the new channels. I called, got a similar helpful CSR, and the installer was out the next day to add a dish for 72.7.

My initial dealing with dish when I signed up for the service last year was just as good.

3. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    You were very lucky. See my post in another thread for the opposite of this type of service.

4. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    I just read that post. Frankly I'm interested in the results, not the process the installers follow. In this case the installer didn't seem to have the experience and a long enough ladder. So after 4 hours the customer canceled the install. As a result the customer did not get what was wanted.

If I had been in that position I would have let the installers struggle for as long as they needed to get the job done. As long as they aren't damaging my property and as long as the final installation is solid and works properly, I don't care if the installers have to work all day on a simple job. That is their problem, not mine.

If the installers want to make a profit from the installation they need to get their act together. All I need however is a properly installed working system.

Perhaps my perspective comes from working years as an electrical technician and engineer. I know things don't always go the way we would like them to - even if you have years of experience. When that happens you just need to keep at it until you get through the problems.

The second tech who came out to install my 72.7 dish had never done that before, but they carry a cell phone and maintain good communications with an experienced supervisor. That system seems to work quite well. A few questions and a bit of digging in the back of the truck and I was up and running.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Everybody's got a story. Of all the installations that are performed daily, usually the only ones that get any attention are the ones where someone got bad service. Once in a while, such as this thread, someone posts a good experience whereby some folks (present company excepted) who haven't had such a good experience seem to crawl out of the woodwork to refute the story. Bad installs/experiences happen. That doesn't mean that good experiences are out of the ordinary.

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Two sides to every story, sucks you had a bad installation, but sometimes it works to you favor to just let them do there job, no matter how long it takes, because you just don't always know what is causing the problem. Rather its lack of experience or equipment and cabling issues. Sounds like you were very involved and sometimes that is more counter productive.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ~14 million customers. If your experience was typical there wouldn't be ~14 million customers.

Bad news always seems to be more noticeable than good. It does show the ability for ONE EMPLOYEE to affect the impression people get of an entire company or even an industry.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'd give my right arm to see a Dish Network field employee show up at my home. As I just posted on another thread, I have never seen a Dish Network employee. I get poorly paid, poorly equipped, poorly trained "subcontractors" of a distant contractor of Dish Network's.

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I had an identical experience with Dish a couple of weeks ago. I continue to view their customer service/Tech Support to be great.

In this case it was a Dish Employee, not a Sub.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Their employment relationship is irrelevant to the company image. You call DISH and someone shows up. The use of contractors and subcontractors just makes it harder to keep everyone consistent.

This is one reason why I like dealing with a known local dealer. If they are not good you can get the same service through someone else instead of relying on a huge chain of command. They can ruin the main company's reputation or make it better as well, but it is easier to work around the bad ones and work with the good ones.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'd also give my right arm to have a local dealer other than the dufuses down at the Radio Shack franchise who take the order with less accuracy than you can do yourself on the Dish web site. We had a local dealer who installed my original C-band and my first small dish but he couldn't survive in this small a market with what Dish offered.:rolleyes:

12. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    You must be left handed. :)

13. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I thought with the new rules that just came out alignments are NOT covered with the protection plan.The new rules with the lower pay rate cover only if you replace any equipment. Bad cable or alignment is no longer covered.Better check your bill for the $95 charge.

14. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    My online bill includes TECHNICIAN VISIT $15.00 under Activity Since Last Statement, and I expect next month's bill to include the $6 service plan fee, so it sounds like I was just lucky... or maybe the CSR cut me some slack since I've been a fairly low mainenance Dish subscriber for over 14 years.

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

You may be right I can't find it?.:eek2:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/ServicePlan.pdf

The dish is listed under covered products maybe that all that is needed?:confused:

Don't see realignments though.:eek2:

16. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Wrong. If you have the Service Plan, any Tech Visit for ANY reason is always $15. Even relocating every receiver/TV in your home and moving the dish to a pole mount. On the same visit.

17. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    From the service agreement
    3. Exclusions from Coverage: Your Plan does not cover:
    A) SERVICE, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, OR REPLACEMENT DUE TO
    ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM USAGE OTHER THAN NORMAL
    USAGE AND BEYOND DISH NETWORK’S NORMAL CONTROL SUCH
    AS: DAMAGE DUE TO MISUSE, ABUSE, INSECT OR OTHER
    INFESTATION, FIRE, WATER, FOREIGN SUBSTANCES, ORGANIC
    MATERIALS, WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, THEFT,
    TERRORISM/WAR, NEGLIGENCE, RIOT, OR ACTS OF GOD;
    B) INSTALLATION AND INSTALLATION WORKMANSHIP, IF THE
    INSTALLATION WAS NOT PERFORMED BY DISH NETWORK, A
    DISH NETWORK AUTHORIZED TECHNICIAN, OR A DISH
    NETWORK AUTHORIZED RETAILER;
    C) INSTALLATIONS NOT GROUNDED IN ACCORDANCE WITH DISH
    NETWORK STANDARDS;
    D) RE-INSTALLATION AND/OR THE RE-CONNECTION OF YOUR
    PRODUCT(S), IF PRODUCT REPLACEMENT IS SHIPPED TO YOU;
    E) COMMERCIAL OR INSTITUTIONAL USE WHICH IS DEFINED AS
    ANY USE OTHER THAN SINGLE-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD USE;
    F) EXTERIOR OR COSMETIC ITEMS OF THE PRODUCT,
    INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PAINT, FINISH, BEZEL, CORDS,
    CABLES, AND CONNECTORS;
    The way I read this reinstall after roof repair not covered

18. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Where does it say, 'We don't cover reinstalls after roof repairs'?

19. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    D) RE-INSTALLATION AND/OR THE RE-CONNECTION OF YOUR
    PRODUCT(S), IF PRODUCT REPLACEMENT IS SHIPPED TO YOU
    To me re-installation of a dish should not be covered by this statement.

20. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    What is Covered: This Plan covers all labor and parts costs necessary to repair
    Your Covered Product for problems due to functional part failures such as the
    receiver, Broadband compatible receiver, dish antenna, remote control, and Low
    Noise Block converter with integrated Feed (“LNBF”) or power surge damage to
    Your receiver or DISH Network installed inside video cabling.
    a) DISH Network, at its option, may require trouble-shooting of the Product to
    verify any failure prior to replacement.
    b) DISH Network, at its option, may replace Your Covered Product with one of
    like kind and quality; like kind and quality is determined by DISH Network.
    c) Parts used to repair the Product may be new, remanufactured, or used, at DISH
    I dont see how re-installing a dish can be considered a functional part failure.