1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has this been done

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stilen621, Jan 31, 2010.

1. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    OK, I am just tired of the POS HR22`s we have. FLAT OUT HAD IT !!!!! Just to slow of response times changing channels etc. DTV needs to get it together. Other than the HDD size, I want to replace them with the trusty older HR20. I know its older but hey, its worth it. My dilema is the color, all my A/V equipment in the other rooms is black, so my question is this.
    Has or does anyone know if the chassis of an HR20 is the same as a HR21 or 22. See where I`m going with this ? Can the guts be swapped relatively easily ? I`m just thinking a faceplate with the controls and the cover. Any thoughts ? And please, no spray paint comments !

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Completely different designs, so "highly unlikely" to work.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    They are definitely different inside. I highly doubt a swap would be easily accomplished.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You could always try contact paper and an exacto knife if you are handy. Ive thought of trying that, however, my HR22-100 in my living room media center is no slower than the HR20-700 in the bedroom, so I havent had any reason to swap them.

I believe they did have a black HR20 though, for a very short time. If you could get a broken one off ebay or somewhere, maybe the cases would be interchangable.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Pretty sure the HR20-100 was the only one available in black. I am also pretty sure they differ internally from the -700 enough to make that swap equally difficult.

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If the color of the box bothers you, then I don't think you really have had enough of that HR22.

7. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    With the RF remote, there is no reason you need to see the box at all. Hide it in a cabinet with doors or in another room.

Come to think of it, there might be a cool way to make a few bucks. HR2* skins. Hmmm....

8. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    Come to think of it, there might be a cool way to make a few bucks. HR2* skins. Hmmm....[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that on my way home also. I checked the dimensions and they are a little different. I`m sure if someone had the time and talent it could be possible but you have venting/heat issues to deal with etc, etc..and I`m not sure it would be worth it in the long run. I wish there were more black HR20`s out there. I`d love to get my hands on atleast one

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's a DVR, just record stuff and you won't need to change channels.

10. steverichmond

steverichmond AllStar

Oct 11, 2007
    I switched my HR22-100 to use RF remote setup and it made a big improvement in the speed. It's still not as fast as I would like but it is better.

Steve

11. hitokage

hitokage Legend

Jan 19, 2010
    You could always replace your other stereo components to match :D. Silver colored stereo equipment has been available again for at least several years, so it is another, albeit expensive, option.

While you said no spray paint comments, it is the easiest method to change the color, but you do lose the button labels unless you mask them or something and you still need to disassemble the thing.

12. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    The HR20-700 is slightly deeper than the HR22 & HR23. Dont know about the HR21's

13. jeproks

jeproks Cool Member

Apr 21, 2008
    wrap it in black vinyl. Shouldn't cost more than $5

14. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I use a place called skinit.com for skins for my Xbox...looked pretty good. Unfortunately, they don't make skins for HD-DVR's.

15. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Hopefullly, the new HD-Directivo will be here soon, and you can then get a real DVR!

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Even the HR20-100 is significantly different inside than the HR20-700.

I know the standard answer to "what DVR will they give me?" has always been "whatever they have on the order or on the truck", but I am living proof that you can request what you want. I have had nothing (since HR10's) but HR20's, and I have not "had it" as have you and others, because they are reliable and the GUI is always pretty snappy. Tivo who?

When I replaced a HR20 last month, I requested a HR20 as a replacement. Not only was it absolutely free (no coverage plan, no shipping fee, no contract), the CSR said "No problem, I will make a notation on the order that it has to be a HR20" (which is exactly what it turned out to be). I had to pinch myself upon hearing this response, but I certainly did not argue. I guess my point is that if your current DVR was to (ahem!) fail somehow, that it never hurts to ask.

But whenever I get depressed that the color of my gear doesn't match I just think about the guy sleeping on a sheet of cardboard on the street in January and the boys and girls fighting our wars for us.

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Requesting and getting an HR20 as a replacement (especially if that is what you already have) is no surprise anymore. As long as they check off "NEEDS OTA" in their system the chance is very high they will send you and HR20. They COULD send you and HR21+AM21 but that would be rare. Besides they are HAPPY to send out the old HR20's that are stacked 10 miles high in their warehouse. Ask for a HR22 or 23 and see how accommodating they are. :lol:

18. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I confess, I did invoke that in my argument, although that's a weak argument since I have some 14 OTA DT stations also served in my market by LIL DTV.

So I guess it's all good. HR20's are what I want, and HR20's is what they have. But what leads you to think they have enough to "stack" at all? And why might you imagine that the "stacks" of HR20's might be taller than the stacks of anything else?

From what I can see they refurb these and send them back out pretty quickly. I would think that a refurb is cheaper for the corporation than shelling out new $ for new DVRs, so that the refurbs, if they have them on hand, are probably the first things out the door. Anything stacked "10 miles high" is an indication of a company that doesn't know how to do business successfully, and if DTV has proven anything, they've proven to be exceptionally successful.

19. SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703 AllStar

Oct 10, 2004
    I have the same problem like you do. I tried a little experiment and what i do is i bring up the program guide and change the channels from there and it's faster. I don't know if you tried this but give it a shot. I want to change my hr22 also, but I dont want to get a 2 year extension also.

20. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    We did that also, but it`s still slower than molassas. I`ll take my chances on a HR20 over an HR22 anyday ! I see more complaints about DTV than kudo`s. I hear DTV reads allot of the stuff here. If thats indeed true the people reading it need new glasses.