1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

have 2tb external single drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jrangel, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Hello,

I have a question. I am going from a single 2tb hd to two 2tb hd's external esatas. My question is do i have to format the drive that has my current record list and saved programs? Or can I just put in the dual case with the other formatted drive?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Which receiver model do you have ?

3. jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    HR-44

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    What are you setting it up as? RAID what?

5. jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    No, just taking it out of one case that holds one hd that I used for 2 months. Now I have another 2 tb drive and bought a dual case. So I just wanted to know if I disconnect it. Can I just have it boot (both drives) and keep the programing and record list intact.Or will it be gone.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you need to decide how you want to set the the RAID enclosure. you can have it as a 4GB or set it up as 2GB and use the second drive as a back up

7. jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Does the HR-44 support the "port multiplier" function to see both drives. I want to use this Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSATA USB Dual Hard Drives Docking Station ST0014U enclosure.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No, it does not. The only way to get multi-drive use on a Genie is RAID and you will have to format all drives involved to setup your RAID array.

9. jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Thank you, I need to get as raid enclosure.