1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Have new HD Receiver & Want to Connect-Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Av8r, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I've had one HDDVR for quite awhile and am very happy with it, but I just received new non DVR receiver from Directv for my Daughter's playroom which is directly behind my TV room, but not sure how to connect the coaxials.

I'm a little confused as to why there are two going into my set top box. I assume I have to splice in somehow and create a splitter for the new receiver. Any advice on how to do it and what parts would be needed would be appreciated.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    If you have two lines going into the back of your box now, then you can't split and use a splitter. You need to drop a line from the lnb at the dish to the room directly, or change your dish (lnb, or all of it depending on which type you have now) out so you can use a splitter. This would also mean only one coax to each receiver then.

I am surprised DIRECTV didn't offer to come out and install this for you. You might want to call back and see if they will for free.

3. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I purchased it online and there was an option to have them connect it for me, but there was a fee, and I felt i could do it myself. Maybe not. Why can't I drop two lines from my LNB? From what I understand the two coaxials are for in and out. I'd want both on the new receiver.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It appears that you have a "legacy" system, on this type of system, DVRs uses two cables from the LNB to feed each of the two tuners on a DVR. a receiver, regardless it is SD or HD, has a single tuner and as such uses one cable from the LNB. if you feel capable of running the cable from the LNB to the receiver, then go for it, just be careful not to fall or mess with your dish alignment when taking the LNB out

5. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Thanks. I'm going to get some help;) I gather the new "SWM" acronym I keep hearing about is to allow only one cable into the house and afterwards have a splitter to multiple receivers. As you can tell I know almost nothing about this because my Directv has been flawless since it was installed.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks. I'm going to get some help;) I gather the new "SWM" acronym I keep hearing about is to allow only one cable into the house and afterwards have a splitter to multiple receivers. As you can tell I know almost nothing about this because my Directv has been flawless since it was installed.

Yes, not only one cable to the house (