1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have questions about selling my HR10-250?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Italfra1, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Over the last year D* has given me two free HR20-700's to replace my HR10-250. The most recent one was yesterday when I called and spoke to someone who advised me that in due time the HR10-250 will not be able to broadcast the new HD content.

I have an HR20-700 in my living room and now in my bedroom. I have no need for the HR10-250 that I paid a good buck for when it first came out. I'm thinking of trying to get $100 bucks or for it locally on Craigslist or something but if it's pretty much going to be useless in a few months is there any reason someone would want to buy this?

I see other people in the buy/sell posts are trying to sell there HR10-250's for roughly $150 or so.

Trying to figure out if someone would have a use for this or if I would be ripping them off selling them something that is almost outdated? Thx.

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    The HR10 will not be useless at all. It will work very well as a high-capacity SD DVR (with the added benefit of the OTA tuners). Won't work as the main DVR for someone who wants the new HD channels, but it has value...so long as the purchaser knows what they're getting (and aren't getting).

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would just say hurry up and sell it as I expect their market value to drop after the new HD channels come on line.

4. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    First, you can only activate an HR10 if you are an existing customer of DirecTV. It's use will pretty much be relegated to SD. If you have an SD set, I would definitely use it in place of DirecTV's H15. I won't go into detail why, as the reasons are myriad. Just look in the H15 threads.

You won't get more than $100 for it. At that price, it is worth keeping as a spare in case your HR20 or any other DirecTV receiver goes south.

Besides, if you ever get nostalgic to see how a well engineered product works...

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Although I get my HD locals from D* anyway, I am still going to keep my HR10-250s in service as I get great OTA reception and the OTA HD recordings are very good, plus I can use it, as mentioned, for SD with much better capacity than some of my old SD DVRs. I am planning on devoting my HR20s primarily to the new MPEG4 HD stuff (and my HD RSN) and use my HR10-250s for network HD via OTA.

6. shugo77

shugo77 Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I just sold my old HR10-250 on eBay last month for $150 plus $18 for shipping and it had a bad hard drive. So if yours is not defective, like mine, you could probably get more for it.

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    True, but I would expect the price to be dropping due to the new channels coming on. Even though it's not true, people will perceive it to be obsolete.

8. jmr21

jmr21 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I sold mine on ebay last month for $145 plus shipping.

Mike

9. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    I upgraded mine with a new 500GB drive (cost = $99 + free shipping) and sold it for over $400 on ebay (unhacked, of course). I even told the buyer what to expect when the new mpeg4 channels go online and he didn't seem to care.

10. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have one concern about selling these units. Since most folks "leased" these units from Direct.....is it not possible that direct wants them back? They may not ask for them back right now....but when you eventually cancel with them, they may say, you owe us an HR10-250.....oh you don't have it, then that will be $799?

I am hard pressed to believe that direct is simply writing these off....even if they are no longer putting them into service?

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

I know when my brother in law stopped service with direct they wanted all the old equip back (except the dish)?

11. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Most people here report that when they have upgraded to the 5LNB/HR20/H20 that D* does not want them back.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I would guess that most HR10-250 units are actually owned, though I know that some are leased. If you do a "swap" or "upgrade" with D* to get a deal on the HR20 to replace it (swap it) for the HR10-250, they actually don't want the "owned" HR10-250s back - those owned units are the units that D* doesn't want back when an upgrade is done. One of my three HR10-250s that D* "upgraded" to HR20s is actually leased - they said as long as I kept it active on my account, they don't need it back. Once I deactivate it, though, I will need to send it back or face the "non-return" penalty. If I deactivate my owned HR10-250s, they do not want those back.

I would not count on not returning any leased equipment and expect D* to just ignore it.

13. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    I very much doubt that DirecTV wants any of the HR10-250's back, whether leased or owned by their customer. There may be a resale value for used "owned" units, but there is no resale value in leased units. DirecTV will not reactivate them on another account.

I replaced two units, one leased and one owned with HR20's. I relegated one of them (the one I own) to use on an SD TV. The other is in cold storage (my closet). It was 6 weeks ago, and DirecTV has not asked for the leased unit back. They can whistle Dixie if they should ever ask for the owned unit--I bought it and I own it...end of story. If they want the leased unit back in a year, I will tell them I pitched it.

I am under no legal obligation to store their property for them. Besides, what on earth would they do with it? They would undoubtedly have to pay for the transportation, and then pay for its disposal. Makes no financial sense for them to do this.

14. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So it would seem that if you leased your equip then you are gonna be liable for it at the end. I have read many posts where people believed they owned but they come to find out they actually leased, even though they paid $399 or more for the DVR.

I guess the point is, be careful and make darn sure that you actually own any equip you sell otherwise you are gonna be stuck with a nice bill when you eventually cancel your D*.

Also make sure you keep all those old standard receivers you leased....I am sure they will want them back when you eventually cancel....even if they are useless oversized paper weights. Just because they didn't ask for them back when you upgraded doesn't mean they wont want it back 5 yrs from now?

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I would not want to steer anyone toward, and certainly not recommend, for anyone to expect that a leased unit should not be returned once it's deactivated. I've read too many posts from people who were charged non-return fees while waiting for the return kit that D* is sending.

And what financial sense does it make for them to not take advantage of a source of revenue that was agreed to in a lease agreement? If they've got cause to charge the non-return fee, it seems to me it makes no financial sense for them not to do it.

If you're reading this and don't want to return leased HR10-250s, that's your choice. But I wouldn't do that unless I had something in writing from D* that they were releasing me from the clause in the lease that requires I return their equipment when I'm finished with it.

16. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    If DirecTV asks for their leased unit back within a reasonable time frame, of course you should return it. However, it is THEIR property, and they need to provide you instructions, and return shipping fees (or prepaid pickup label). I specifically asked the installer to take DirecTV's "swapped" unit back (he is their agent) and he said that he didn't have any instructions to do so.

As far as a source of revenue for DirecTV: HR250-10's are not being refurbed for replacement. Hence, they have no economic value for DirecTV as salvage. They represent a cost to them, first for shipping, and second, for disposal. Electronics cannot simply be dumped into a landfill in most communities (you live in the Twin Cities, so you should know). Many communities charge to dispose of eletronics.

This may be moot, but what is not is that it is DirecTV's responsibility to request their property and provide for the return of it. If they don't, you have no obligation to return their property. They own the old Phase III dish, too (I didn't pay for it) but they don't want it back either and for the same reason they don't want the HR250-10's back.:)

17. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't see any benefit at all to DIRECTV in requesting returns of the HR10-250's (probably why they don't request the return. Between shipping, CSR time, storage and ultimate disposal, and the labor to store and dispose its a lose-lose-lose situation to take them back.

I don't disagree however that the leased units are DIRECTV property and people should be reasonably cautious before disposing of them themselves (whether flea-bay, trash, or whatever). All the same, DIRECTV does not want them as their product life-cycle is over.

My HR10 will happily live out its days mainly as a SD DVR and the occasional OTA HD.

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    One benefit (and I don't know if they do this) is that they may be able to get some tax credits for recycling an HR10.

19. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The benefit to D* is they get to take your money. Particularly when you are canceling service. Simple economics.

20. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    If DirecTV doesn't ask for their units back by (1) instructing the installer to take them or (2) Providing a prepaid pickup label and shipping carton, they are not going to request them if you should cancel their service. If they want the money or the unit, they would request them immediately.

It makes no sense at all to ask for them at a future date. When they do expect a unit back and have provided the label and the carton, the instructions state that if you do not return the unit within 7 days (S-E-V-E-N D-A-Y-S) you will be charged $250 or more.

So if they want their return in seven days, why would they wait longer? Your suggestion is that they want to "lure" their customers into keeping the unit so they can charge them later is silly.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.