1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Have the 622 - Want to upgrade to Hopper - transfer old content?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jaybo700R, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Oregon
    We have the 622 and have had it since it first came out. We have a LOT of content on there that we have stored sowe can watch it in the future as well as a 750mb external drive filled with content as well. My wife is not willing to give up the content (4+ years as of yet unwatched Grey's anatomy?) so we have yet to upgrade to the Hopper. I asked Customer service and they said there was no way to transfer this over to the Hopper. They won't let me keep the 622 either.

Are there any options that the CSR's are not able to tell me about? Will not be able to have an external drive hooked to the Hopper? Is there a way to transfer from the external drive to a computer and then play it later?

Any help would be most appreciated, I REALLY want the additional tuners and capabilities of the Hopper!

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  3. Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Oregon
    Sweet! The 622 was notorious for being very picky about what external drives would work with it. I guess this means that I could put the content on the Hopper when I get it, then clear the old off of the EHD, and get the rest of the content off the 622.

Wonder if I could do this in advance, and copy it all to my computer then transfer it back later?

I'll point MaryB to this thread and get her input as well.

THANKS!

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    How much is an EHD?

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Depending on size 80-120. Max size supported is 2TB.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Yes, you can do that with minimal effort; by using Linux, say Ubuntu, booted from CD (no need to install to your PC), just copy DishArc folders from each EHD partitions to your [PC] backup drive and restore them to other drive later (to clean drive, after H will initialize it). RandallA posted detailed procedure here and there.

7. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Yes, Thomasjk is 100% correct. Any EHD that is connected to the 622 or any other HD DVR receiver will be compatible with the Hopper. If you need any additional assistance, please PM me and I will be happy to help! Thank you!

8. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    if you purchase another EHD, say a 2TB one (they should only be a couple hundred at most) the Hopper will let you have 2 EHD's plugged in at the same time. So before the upgrade remove your existing EHD from the 622 and plug a new EHD into the 622 and copy your content to this EHD. Then when the Hopper comes and they disconnect the 622 just plug both EHD's into the Hopper and you can watch the content from there. I wouldn't even bother to copy it back to the Hopper.

BTW, I upgraded a 622 and 722 to hoppers and transfered my content using EHD's without any problems.

9. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    If it makes you feel any better I just did this a few months ago. Had an old 622, migrated everything over to my EHD, got the Hopper installed plugged in the EHD to the Hopper, everything worked perfect!

10. Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Oregon
    So I can't do it under Win7? No problem if not I can easily boot from a thumb drive with Knoppix .. I have it somewhere ... :)

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    the drive is parttioned with EXT3 type... find RandallA's procedure here or there ...

12. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    As a Unix derivative, it should take EXT3 with some little additions ... see Mac OS forums

14. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    2TB external drives are $80-$100.