1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever used the Tivo-style text guide?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hoopsbwc34, Aug 23, 2007.

Have you used the Tivo-style guide before?

1. Yes, and I liked it a lot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, and I didn't care for it

95 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. No, but I think I would like it

48 vote(s)
    33.1%
  4. No, and I think I wouldn't care for it

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    As a new HR20 user coming from 5 years with Tivo, I was surprised to see the Tivo-style guide not doing better in the WishList. Personally, I went crazy trying to go through all the shows on at PrimeTime to set up season passes, because I had to move around in the guide so much.

So that made me think... how many people have used the Tivo style guide and that drives their opinion of it versus how many just don't have an opinion because they haven't used it before?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes I have... and after using it, is one of the reasons I turned it off.

While I understand people liked to see an entire's day's worth of programming on one channel in one shot...

I like using the GRID, so I can see pontential conflicts, accross channels.

And usually when I am in the Guide... I am looking at things to watch NOW, or with in 30 minutes...

Not all the programs that on a specific channel for the next 12ish hours.

3. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    I could see that, but even that doesn't really work well cause I can only see a few channels at once... it's like the reverse problem.

For me I use the guide to find programs to record as well...so I go to my favorite channels and look at their content over the next several days. This is how I find shows I didn't even know I wanted to record, so I couldn't search for them... with the HR20 guide, this takes FOREVER....

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have used it and don't really like it. I would not use it if it was added to the HR20. When I am watching live TV I want to know what is on now or coming up shortly. I don't really need to know what is coming on much later in the day. Plus I probably already have anything that I want to watch later in the day set to record.

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I tried but did not like it at all. I prefer the grid guide if it was an option on the HR20
    I would not even bother with it.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    First I'll say after using Tivo for 6 years it was a bit of a change but now the "Tivo style" guide actually drives me nuts to use. All what you're used to I guess.

I'll give you a couple tips that will allow you to *quickly* add a bunch of series links (season passes).

First, pull up the guide on the channel in question (say Discovery) and then left arrow to highlight the channel number. Hit the Info button. This will pull up the entire 2 weeks guide data for that channel only.
    Now simply page down until you find the shows you want, hit record twice and viola! Series links quickly created.

Next option is to stay in the guide. Say I'm setting up series links for the "big 4". Get it so all 4 are on the screen at once. Now hit the menu button, choose Date & Time. I'll choose Sunday at 8pm. Now you'll have most of prime time for the big 4 all on screen. Quickly "two button" series link record all you want. Now hit the green button twice which advanced you in the guide 24 hours (12 for each press). Now you're in prime time on Monday. Rinse repeat for the entire week. I'll bet you'll setup a couple dozen series links in less then 10 minutes. :D

Good luck!

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Different strokes for different folks. I only used it to search for movies to record. Otherwise I wanted to see what was on "now" on as many channels as possible.

8. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    Thanks..I'll give this a try!

9. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Sorry, I have been spoiled to Directv's normal grid for many years.

Never had a Tivo, so I guess I don't know what I was missing. Always thought they cost too much money to have membership fees attached to them as well.

10. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    I'm with you... I feel the same way about AutoTune :D

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Sorry to say this isn't so. See description here.

12. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: the Tivo style guide but I'm definitely doing better now that i know about this. Probably the biggest issue for me still is just how little guide data fits on the screen at once. But that's another wishlist request.

13. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    I have had TiVos for years and LOVE their guide style. In fact, the lack of same kept me from moving for a year now. I'll try the trick mentioned earlier and see how I like it. The reason I prefer the TiVo style is that I only want to see the extended guide on certain channels and not others plus I can see further into the "future" with it.

I'd use it exclusively if the HR20 had it as an option.
    Jim

14. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    No question about it!

15. Rockermann

Rockermann Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Another here that would prefer the Tivo style menu to the grid. I've used the option outlined above for getting a Tivo-like guide and while it's not quite the same, it's better than having only the grid.

Count me as one that would switch the minute it was available.

16. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    One of the main reasons for using the TiVo style grid was because the DirecTv style grid on the HR10-250 was incredibly slow. The only time I would switch to it (which was a bother) was when I wanted to see what was coming up long in the future on a given channel - and the HR20 already does that in a much easier way.

17. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    i'd definitely switch to using the tivo style guide if it was made available. It bothers me that you can only see 1.5 hrs in advance.

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I never used it much. Mostly on the HR10 before version 6 when the grid guide was very slow and I was looking for shows on a station or two, the Tivo guide was still fast.

I never understood the logic of it. Yes, sometimes I want to see what is on a channel in the future (like trolling for movies on HDNET Movies) but when I am in the guide, it is usually because I want to see what is on now and in the near future on as many channels as possible. The tivo guide only gives you now and one channel of future.

If I am looking for a show in the future, most often I would search for it using search or a wishlist.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Don't know what to tell you but I do it all the time. From that post it sounds like the problem is that the show you did it on is one currently on "live". It certainly won't happen when setting a recording 3 days in the future.

20. tiger2005

tiger2005 Godfather

Sep 22, 2006
    My GF and I both still prefer the TiVo style guide to the D* Guide. The TiVo style Guide allows us to see what's on 8 different channels at the current time, it shows the next 8 programs that will be on the currently selected channel regardless of the timing so if the next program isn't on until 2 or 6 hours later you'll still see that next program, and the speed of the guide is phenomenal. One of the most overlooked features of the TiVo guide is that it allows you to view programs that have already aired and ended by scrolling backwards. I didn't realize how often I used that feature until I got to the HR20 and this option wasn't available.

I know that there's a 'workaround' that gives you a piece of this TiVo functionality, but IMO its not even close. Why can't D* at least implement something similar and give us the option to choose which guide we would prefer??? That was one of the best things about the TiVo guides. This whole discussion would pretty much be a moot point because we would all be happy with how the guides looked since it would be our choice on which to use. I'm guessing it goes back to the amount of support required and how many resources D* devotes to this type of a feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.