1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you, or are you going to get the H1N1 vaccine?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by roadrunner1782, Oct 13, 2009.

Have you, or are you going to get the H1N1 vaccine?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I was just reading online that alot of people are concerned about how safe the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine is. I was curious if anyone here has got one already or if anyone plans on getting it? I'm mainly curious because I have never even had a seasonal flu shot, except for this year being my first. I was also thinking about getting the H1N1 shot and was curious what other people are doing.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In 1959 I almost died from the flu. So I never miss the annual flu shot. There's nothing special about H1N1 in the vaccine. There's a variant in most seasonal shots every year. So I'll get it when they make it available to old people. I also get pneumonia vaccine every five years, but that may not be for everyone.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Got my regular flu shot today at work and they're giving the H1N1 later. I'll get it, too.

They're free to the staff and we have a random drawing for a $100 prize among those who get their shots.

Two years ago I won!

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Work is requiring me to take the vaccine so I voted yes. Also going to get it for the kids cause I dont want to take any chances.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    [x] Undecided

6. compac

compac Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Will take it when available. Even the seasonal flu spray or vaccine is not fully available here yet. Local school dist is offering swine shot free to the kids when it comes in. My kids want the spray so we'll get it at the MD's office.

Saw that Safeway supermarkets are doing this:
    Every flu shot comes with a 10% savings
    on your next grocery purchase.:)
    * link below
    http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Flu-Shots
    :beatdeadhorse:
    Heard that D* says it might help the Brrrrrp issue too

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Never had one, never will. I get sick maybe once every 3 years, and tend to recover faster than average.

My 3 visits to MD's in my life have all involved cuts that required stitches (well, 2 needed stitches, one just got taped up).

I've only had 4 perscriptions ever, and 2 were from the dentist.

8. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    This commentary on NPR by a former U.S. Assistant Surgeon General sealed the deal for me in favor of getting the shot.

9. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I'll get it when it becomes available. Old fogies are in the low risk category. And we may have some immunity from the 1957 flu, but I'll get my shot nonetheless. My HMO says it probably won't be available until late this year for my target group. That's OK with me as I want the higher risk groups to get vaccinated first. I have 2 daughters who fall into that category.

John

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes please. I will take it when I can get it.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'll be having my kids get it, but I won't.

- Merg

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What always amuses me every year... all the news stories and doctors saying "get it this year, even if you never have before"... and encouraging everyone to get it... until they start running low, then the same doctors start spinning how everyone doesn't need to get it after all.

IF it were truly something everyone needed... then I suspect they'd make enough to give to everyone in the first place.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Never had one before, don't intend to start now.

My boss gets a flu shot every year, and still gets the flu every other year or so. I never had one and never got the flu, either. To me, that indicates they prevent squat. It's like whistling to keep the tigers away.

14. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Nope.

15. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have already been infected with H1N1 earlier this year, so I don't need the vaccine. Luckily, I had a fairly mild case. As for the annual flu shots, I never get them as I rarely ever get the flu. The one year my company "strongly suggested" it, and I took it, that was the sickest I've ever been - I spent three nights in the hospital from dehydration.

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Man, that's awful!

You'd better start taking better care of your teeth!:lol:

17. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    County health department was administering the shots this morning beginning at 8 a.m. By the time I drove up, the line stretched three times around the building. Looked like people had been waiting for hours for the doors to open. Reminded me of camping out for World Series tickets (back when they were offered to real people and real people could afford them).

I realized that if I waited, I would be hours late for work, and they probably would have run out of the vaccine by the time it came close to being my turn. Will have to take my chances and try later.

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Funny, I'm not getting it for me and the kids for the same reason. :grin:

19. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    No,I've survived 50 years without one and don't want to chance messing up things now.

Yes, As others have stated I get the flu about every three years and seem to get over it in a week or two.

I think because of my age I may be immune to H1N1,this thing seems to hit the younger folks the hardest.

If I had young children they would most likely be given the vaccine.:)

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not sure I've ever had the flu. Lots of people *think* they have the flu because most virus-induced illnesses have those "flulike" symptoms...

I've been very sick before and mildly sick... but not sure I've ever had the actual flu in nearly 40 years of living.

I don't have OCD, but I try to keep my hands clean at least before putting them in my mouth... and practice general hygienic considerations like not wiping my germs on others :)