1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having signal problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by missparker10, Nov 25, 2009.

1. missparker10

missparker10 Legend

Feb 15, 2007
    I have read through threads about weak satellite signals and have a specific question. I have multiple HR 20 HD-dvr's. Last week I started having trouble on one particular line. All of a sudden, the dvr in the bedroom wasn't working. It's not the box, I switched it to the kitchen and it worked fine. The kitchen one had the same problems in the bedroom.

Very low satellite signal, it dances in and out, goes from acquired to not acquired and back again. I never get a picture. The readings when I check the strength are low 50's and below.

I want to ask if it could be anything but a problem with the cable, as it's gonna be a pain to run new lines. Every other DVR in the house has strong readings, 90's +, no issues. It's just that line. (I currently only have one line running in.)

I have everything connected with a 6x16 multiswitch. Could it be that particular port in the multi that went bad? Or would it have to be the cable itself?

I plan to go up in the attic over the holiday so I can try and troubleshoot. Didn't know if maybe I should try switching the cable from one output to another, if that was even a possibility.

Thanks for the help.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I would start by checking all of the connections. Then, if that doesn't help, swap to a different output on the multiswitch. If that doesn't help, run a new line. Before I ran a new line throught the walls and stuff, I might just run it through the house to the receiver to make sure that the cable was the issue. Then feed it through the walls.

EDIT: Before running a new line, I'd probably replace the ends on the current line.

3. MIMOTech

MIMOTech Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    hilmar2k has good advice. Swap the line to a new port on the Switch. If that does not work do the connectors. If that does not work change the line but try a bypass line as stated. If you managed to get some critters in your Attic, some like to eat the PVC on the coaxial cable. I had an outside line to a dish in a tree, the Squirrels chomped right through to the center conductor, The line worked until the shield was broken, did suffer line loss as the damage increased. Just a thought...

4. missparker10

missparker10 Legend

Feb 15, 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

I am going to do what has been suggested here, probably can't get to it until Saturday with the holiday, but I will post back and let you know if it was anything as simple as switch ports or change a connection.

Now that it's been mentioned, the switch is in the attic and who knows what kind of critter could be up there. Well, guess I'm sending the hubby up instead. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. :balloons:

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Another easy test is to simply swap the two connections on the back of the DVR (Sat 1 and Sat 2) - and see if the problem moves to the other tuner. Also swap the BBC's seperately from the lines to see if a BBC might be your problem.

I do agree, connectors are one of the highest probabilities. If you don't have compression connectors, you should replace what you have with them.

6. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Could also be the LNB

7. missparker10

missparker10 Legend

Feb 15, 2007
    I know I should have posted my success story sooner but I figured better late than never. That way if anyone is having a similar problem, it could be what mine was.

It seemed like the cables running to my bedroom DVR went bad, as I wasn't getting any picture, much signal and signal meters were jumping all over the place. I sent my hubby into the attic and he switched the cable from one port on the multi-switch to a different one. That fixed the whole problem. Line works fine now. So the port on the multi went bad or something.

So it was as easy as that, thank goodness.

Have a great day. Thanks to all who helped. :)