1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having some recording issues

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by loki993, Apr 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    ok, so far I like the Dish. That said Im a bit disappointed with the DVR. Please help me. here is my issue.

I am very disappointed with the fact that you cannot choose which tuner you want to record on. Ive read the threads and people say that people would have too many conflicts, well I" think thats just bull, if you cant keep track of youre recordings maybe you not bright enough to be using the equipment, dont punish advanced users because of this. another thing my comcast DVR would let me know if I had too many thing recording at the same time, so I know its possible. that said I can deal with that.

what im having a hard time dealing with however is it seems that if im recording on the tv im watching, im stuck on that channel. there doesnt seem to be a way for me to start recording on the TV im watching and then switch to another channel?? is this true or am I doing something wrong? If this is the case I will be very disappointed, because that would be truly unsatisfactory. this was another thing that worked fine on the comcast DVR.

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Are you in Single User Mode or Dual User Mode?

3. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Put the dvr in single mode, then you can record on one tuner and watch another channel on the other tuner.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Also, in single mode, you do get a brief screen stating that there is a conflict. I think it should stay up till you click ok, but it is gone after only a couple of seconds.

5. loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    Im in dual. I use it to watch on 2 different Tvs. will I still be able to watch 2 different Tvs in single mode or will I have to get 2 boxes?? I knew I should have gotten 2 boxes.

6. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    You can watch on TV2 in single mode but it will be the same programming as that of TV1. You can not watch 2 seperate channels on TV1 and Tv2 while in single mode.

7. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    That's not exactly true. On TV2, you can watch tuner 1 or tuner 2 by changing the channel to how the Modulator Setup is configured. I have TV1 Out set to channel 75 and TV2 Out set to channel 77 thereby viewing two separate programs. I can watch either tuner but I can only control tuner 2. That should be easy to set up for an advanced user such as the OP.

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Did you miss the "in Single Mode" in dbrakob's post? :)

Even if you are in Dual mode, your TV1 OUTPUT on Ch 75 may, and may not, be TUNER 1. There isn't a 1-to-1 relationship between TV1 and Tuner 1.

I've picked my nits for the day now! ;)

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Apparently. :p

10. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    My experience is channel 77 is always the TV2 output and channel 75 is always the TV1 output.

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    What I was trying to say is that TV1 hasn't always been using Tuner 1 for me. TV1 output is always the modulated channel number. There have been times where TV1 is using Tuner 2 while TV2 is using Tuner 1. I had expected that I could unscrew Tuner 2 coax w/o interrupting TV1, but TV1 was using Tuner2 at the time. Tell tale sign was when Tuner number in Menu-6-1-1 didn't match TV number. I don't know the circumstances needed to get in that mode, but assume it involves changes to Single / Dual, PIP-Swap, some recording, ...

12. loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    so is there any issues with switching between single and dual mode? Im not sure how often it would be. I do like to record things at night while I sleep to watch at other times and before I go to sleep I watch a little tv. there will be time where I will want to record something while im watching something downstairs, but not all the time. would it be ok to switch to single mode when this happens and then switch back to dual mode in the morning after the recordings done? will this cause any issues?? should I just get a separate reliever for the downstairs tv? I really dont think I need one down there, but it would pretty much erase the recording issues im having. I could also just try to avoid recording things when im planning on watching stuff downstairs too I guess.

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Swapping sinle/dual mode does not cause any issues. Honestly, if it's just you, leave the DVR in Single mode. That way the only way you cannot watch live TV guaranteed is if there's 2 shows you want to record on at the same time.

14. loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    no its me and the GF. Ive been thinking I think I can deal with the one box thing. between switching between dual and single and the honestly limited time I really watch tv down there I think I can work around it.

15. swissy

swissy AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I didn't see it mentioned, but if you are watching a program and then decide to record it by using the record button, you can pick which tuner to use. (If you are in dual).

16. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Good person. +1.

17. swissy

swissy AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I had to read this 5 times before I understood your comment! I use this username often and your the first to comment:hurah:

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The bottom line is that there are only 2 sat tuners, which means if you are using Dual mode, each TV gets only 1 tuner. If you use that tuner to record, you cannot also watch something else live. If you record on one channel and watch something else live, you have taken over the TV2's tuner and they must either watch something previously recorded or watch one of the two shows that are active on the tuners.

If you're used to having 2 sat tuners dedicated to one TV, then this is going to be different, and you'll either need to adjust to the limitations or get an additional receiver and dedicate one receiver per TV.

19. TSR

TSR Legend

Feb 7, 2009
    Or you could just use the Record Plus feature on the DVR if you have the option, only problem I see you having with this is I don't believe it asks you each time when you want to record something, you set it up in the menu and tell it which tuner you want to always record on.