1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaii at Florida not available in HD on DIRECTV in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by justlgi, Aug 24, 2008.

1. justlgi

justlgi Guest

Apr 11, 2008
    The Hawaii at Florida game is being carried locally by WJXT (ch 4) which is not carried in HD by directv. :(

2. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Is WJXT even broadcasting it in HD?

3. justlgi

justlgi Guest

Apr 11, 2008
    They do have an HD sub-channel OTA (04-1, WJXT-HD, 720p) and a mirror on Comcast (437). Although I don't know the extent of their current HD programming, but I do know this game is available in HD according toRAYCOM

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It's on locally down here, WSFL, in HD OTA and via D*. The Raycom network is carrying it. Can you get WOGX, Gainesville? The G'ville Sun had an ad saying they were going to broadcast in HD.

5. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Guess this will be the kicker to get me to put the antenna up. Hadn't installed it since I moved from St. Louis. The real question is, whether WJXT will broadcast it in HD or not. If not - I guess I need to see if I can pick up WOGX with a 3679 channel master?

6. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    That seems like a lot of work for a game. It's only one game, but hey. I would find a different game to watch if I were a Gator fan. After all the U is playing also :D .

7. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Why would I want to pass this game up to watch a DIV II team take on Charleston Southern???? :D

Its just the catalyst for putting the antenna in. Its been sitting up in the attic since last November... now I have a reason! :)

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I double checked the guide this morning for WSFL and the HD label is no longer there! Now I am beginning to wonder if Raycom will even have any HD equipment on the field. Our local channel does broadcast HD, I'll check out their website later and find out.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Neither WOGX or WSFL websites have any indication about the game being in hi-def. Thinking about it, Raycom wouldn't spend the money on it. Bummer, at least it is on TV.

10. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Raycom has claimed this year it would be 100% HD on its football broadcasts. So either Raycom has issues but has not redacted its press release (possible) or the WOGX, WSFL, WJXT websites are not accurate.

I sent an email to WJXT - but we'll see if I get an answer. Can't find a phone number or I'd call them.

Chris

11. justlgi

justlgi Guest

Apr 11, 2008
    Raycom's site still says IN HD where availible.

FWIW http://www.hdsportsguide.com/cfb/ says Hawaii Warriors vs Florida Gators Raycom (1080i)

Article referencing the game being broadcast in HD ... http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10859678

12. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Unfortunately both those sources fail to reference where they get this information from. And the one on sportsline is from June.

I am confident that Raycom "said" they'd do HD. There's a release out there. What we don't have is any relevant information from the past couple months where Raycom affirms they are doing the games in HD, they are ready to do the games in HD, and they are putting it up on a satellite. Once we have that, the ball is in the local stations hands. But the silence (and changes) from the local stations indicates they aren't getting any better information from Raycom than we are...

Chris

13. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    More interesting information...

ESPN just bought ALL SEC TV rights not owned by CBS for the next 15 years. I haven't found an effective date, so I'm guessing its 2009. Raycom would've found out about this just late last week.

Anything is speculation, but one would have to wonder whether a small-apple like Raycom would pour money into broadcasting SEC football in HD when A) it can't be carried by a lot of its affiliates and B) ESPN just shut them out.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.... :scratchin

Edit: As suspected, the deal is effective 2009 for 15 years. So Raycom has it for this year - but knowing they are done, the question is how much money they'll throw at this versus trying to get in good with the ACC...

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I'm with you, Raycom will definately not put any money into their last season. What little I have read indicates that the ESPN deal will more than likely stop any chances of an SEC Network.

15. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    SEC Network = DEAD

CBS has first rights for SEC football for 15 years.
    ESPN has ALL other SEC rights - including SEC basketball championships, etc. for 15 years.

The SEC found their market was SO strong, that CBS and ESPN guaranteeing them 15 years of Millions, was a much better option than trying to go it alone. I agree - this gives them nationwide coverage and exposure for recruits. An SEC network would not get much play in the Midwest/West.

Chris

16. capegator

capegator Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Raycom/Lincoln Financial/Jefferson Pilot has, I believe, has always taken the third spot after CBS and ESPN take their pick. I've got my fingers crossed that Raycom will be broadcasting in HD from Gainesville. The CW in Fort Myers does air national programing in HD. Direct does not. I'll have the OTA cranked up Saturday afternoon. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

17. justlgi

justlgi Guest

Apr 11, 2008
    Decided it was time for an avatar change. :D

18. capegator

capegator Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    I contacted the station manager of the Raycom affiliate in Fort Myers and his response to me was...
    It appears then that Raycom will actually be broadcasting a HD signal to a satellite. Wonders will never cease to amaze me. Go Gators!

19. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    That is pretty ugly;)

20. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    At least he's not a Redskins fan... !rolling