1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaii Bemoans Lack of DirecTV Product, Retail

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Officials with the State of Hawaii went back to the Federal Communications Commission with their issues concerning satellite TV service to the islands, this time taking to task the lack of product available from DirecTV at consumer electronics stores in the state.

Hawaii officials said in a letter sent to the FCC last week that DirecTV has made some progress on delivering more programming to the islands, but hasn't addressed the lack of retail product. "Only a handful of stores appear to carry DirecTV's equipment in Hawaii, none of them on Oahu, by far the state's most populous island," the letter said.

Online retailers with DirecTV product will only sell equipment for the satellite TV service in the continental United States, Hawaii officials said, and none of the large retail chains with a presence in the state are selling the service or equipment.

As for independent retailers, five are authorized to sell DirecTV in Hawaii, but none of them are on the main island of Oahu, where Hawaii's largest city Honolulu is located, the letter said. "As a result, more than 70 percent of the state's population lacks convenient and reliable access to distributors of DirecTV's DBS service," officials said.

In April, DirecTV expanded its programming offerings for Hawaii customers, offering four packages and premium services. Hawaii residents can choose DirecTV Total Choice or Total Choice Plus programming packages as well as DirecTV Para Todos Opcion Ultra Especial or Opcion Extra Especial. There's also a suite of a la carte premium movie services from HBO and Showtime and professional and college sports packages from the NHL, NBA and Major League Baseball (NFL Sunday Ticket will still be offered to Hawaii customers), the company said.

In response, DirecTV said it is aware of the letter and will discuss it with the appropriate parties.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Man, if I lived in Hawaii, I think getting a few extra channels via DirecTV would be pretty low on my list of things to do. ;)

3. villonm001

villonm001 New Member

Sep 26, 2003

oh i see, but its high on your list (like everyone else's ; the people that post in here) that live on the cont. u.s. to get that extra channel(s)? People whine about getting this channel or that channel...so why shouldnt it be high on our list that wants to get directv in Hawaii?

Actually, i dont really care cause i have dishnetwork.

4. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Woa! It's getting hot in here.

I visited Hawaii in May 2002, and I hope to go back pretty soon.

I imagine DirecTV will get the ball rolling, in the not-too-distant-future, and offer Hawaii residents more comparable programming packages available to residents in the 48 continental states and the District of Columbia. I hope it happens for Hawaii (as well as Alaska). :)

5. gglockner

gglockner AllStar

Mar 25, 2004
    I see two reasons why D* may not be pushing hard in Hawaii.

First, D* does not have locals in Hawaii, nor do they have plans to add locals. This problem could be fixed, but it may not be cost effective.

Second, the mountains block the view of the satellites. Residents located on the north or west coast of an island probably cannot get a good view of the satellite. This affects towns like Kona, and much of the population of Maui. Those people are stuck with Oceanic Time Warner cable. The rest of Hawaii could get E*, which does offer Honolulu locals.

6. villonm001

villonm001 New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    ============================

NO, ITS NOT GETTING HOT IN HERE,
    matter of fact, its been a little too hot for me here on maui...lived here all my
    life and i cant stand this heat. Weather is nice, but i wished it rained more,
    hehehe...
    im just one of the few that likes it when it rains...im just selfish i guess?

Nah, that aside, everything seems to be going in the right direction...as far as
    having to be able to provide the majority of DIRECT's programming. Was
    very happy to see NFL SUNDAY ticket last year for the first time...been so
    upset with the DIRECTV EXCLUSIVE thing with the NFL...

so now that im able to get NFL SUNDAY TICKET with DIRECTV, and MLBEI on either DISH or DIRECT (i get it with DISH)...there is no need for me to be
    upset/unhappy anymore. Im just enjoying the progams i like watching all
    the time, everyday and everynite...yes, i got no life!!! hehehe

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Whoa there fella. Notice my little "winky" in my post? :D

I feel for the peope on the Islands that want more channels, but there are quite a few technical issues with giving sat service to a location a few thousand miles away from the mainland with nothing but water in between. Hopefully it will continue to get better for you.

8. villonm001

villonm001 New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    ======

oh ok...
    I do understand that the core programing is coming from the 101 sat.
    but its sad to know that DISH could for a couple of years now, and DIRECT
    just starting to provide almost all of the programming available. As far as
    technical issues, DISH was able to do it, so i cant see why DIRECT couldnt / cant?

But like i said, i dont really care at this point in time, im already a happy
    satisfied customer with nuttin else better to do than watch satellite tv and surf
    the internet.

So please realize that im not trying to start a little drama in here...i need to
    conserve all of my energy typing on the keyboard and clicking on the remote,
    hehehe.

9. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, it rained here, in Metro Detroit, today (May 21, 2004) to the point we had hail and there are lots of floods. Luckily, I had some personal time, didn't have to commute at all (much less be delayed on my nearby Interstate), and I don't feel victimized. But, god, what rain we had. Not much sun. And certainly not hot. :sure:

10. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    I think the point of the State of Hawaii's complaint to the FCC is if you offer a service, yet virtually no way for anyone to get the service, are you really offering the service.

You get it. :D

BTW: It's been so rainy here this past winter and spring that the in-town hills are still green and it's May.

11. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No offense to those in Hawaii, but I didn't know that Directv service was a right. Why does the government have to get involved at all? It seems that if it is cost effective as a business decision, that Directv will offer service, if not, why do they have to be obligated to provide it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.