1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO & Cinemax Free Preview

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jdmart, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdmart

jdmart AllStar

Jan 9, 2004
    "Bada bing!SM Bada boom! Chase those winter blues away and kick off the spring season with a free preview of HBO® and Cinemax® March 17–21. Don't forget to tune in to the much-anticipated return of The Sopranos and the exciting new drama Big LoveSM on HBO. Be sure to catch all the Hollywood hits on Cinemax such as Monster-in-Law, In Good Company and Alexander. It's all yours, and it's free for five days!"

2. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Legend

Apr 28, 2005
    Kool Lots of Skinamax to tivo.

3. paychekkk

paychekkk Mentor

Jan 14, 2006
    Are they going to turn on the HD HBO also.

4. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    That would be cool.

5. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I think so, they turned them on the last time they offered free HBO and showtime, I believe that if you get the package you get HD HBO and Showtime included

6. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Mentor

Mar 15, 2006
    I bet I have a hard time finding 2 quality movies to tivo (as usual).

Although I will get a chance to see The Sopranos!

CAn't wait to look at the FREE PREVIEW BANNER accross the shows/movies!

7. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    LOL:lol:

I agree with you the quality of movies in HBO and Showtime are so bad, that not even HD is worth it. I will still watch one or two movies since it is free. If they want to sale more HBO and Showtime subscribers, they need to improve their shows

8. mkmhr

mkmhr Legend

Jan 25, 2006

Just wanted to point out, If for some reason your R-15 won't let you schedule a recording, and you hear "BONK BONK BONK, just schedule a manual record.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    IIRC, a few weeks back, they basically started pushing in the data stream... that you have access to ALL channels (from a recording point of view).... that doesn't mean you can actually decode it (that is based on your access card).

So you shouldn't here the BONK BONK BONK, as we have heard in previous free-views.

10. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    So I decided to watch a movie on HBOHD over the weekend. I can believe that anyone would want to subscribe to HBO, they have a preview weekend, you would think they had a new movie ...! all the movies are old school, nice on HD, but "HELLO" I can see the same movies on cable and not pay the extra for HBO. Some people like the original shows like "sex and the city"....I would not pay extra for that

Sorry ....big disappointment even if it is in HD.

11. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    What exactly do you mean by "new" movie? All of the premium channels are like that. They don't show movies until long after the DVD has been released. So if you want newer movies it makes much more sense to subscribe to Netflix.

12. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    All HBO movies have already been released in theatre and on DVD. That's the nature of any movie channel. Now, on the other hand, did you bother watching new episodes of The Sopranos, or Big Love. HBO original productions?

13. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Exactly my point why pay extra for HBO if the movies are already available on DVD or better yet most are shown on TNTHD. or TNT. The only reason some people get HBO is for a couple of original shows like the Sopranos.

To tell you truth, there are plenty of shows like the Sopranos on the networks that I can't see spending the money just for that

14. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    There are no shows like the Sopranos on network TV. :nono:

15. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Hey I love the HBO shows (when they are actually on). Deadwood, Sopranos, Entorage (sp?), Rome, and even Big Love is not bad so far. But the stuff is pretty thin though. Heck, I can't even remember the last movie I watched on HBO...but I still pay for it :grin: .

Some of the FX stuff is pretty cool though. Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me...now that IS some good stuff.

I still like my HBO, even if it is just for the darn shows vs. the movies.

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I used to watch the Sopranos, but lost interest a few years ago. About the only things I really made a point to watch on HBO were Deadwood, The Wire, Dennis Miller, and Inside the NFL. Dennis Miller is gone now and ITNFL is in the off season. I haven't heard anything about The Wire for a while now. I wound up cancelling because I couldn't justify the cost just to watch Deadwood.

Movies??? I generally just do Netflix. Not enough of interest/variety on HBO, and they do tend to run things from many years ago to fill time. Just not worth the money to me.

17. Adamv2

Adamv2 Cool Member

Feb 4, 2006
    There is nothing like the Sopranos on network TV, and while yes you could buy all the movies HBO shows (and even the Sopranos) fact is if you bought 2 of them a month, you would be paying more then what HBO costs. HBO has a new movie every Saturday, so even if they offered nothing else you would still be getting 4 new movies a month for $12. Typically when a movie get to the DVD and movie channel stage, there is still another year before they get picked up by normal cable networks. Also, lets not forget that when on cable networks movies get edited for time, and content, oh and commericals.

About the older movies. I too notice they now show more older movies (I just got HBO in December. Previously I had it back in 1997, when my cable company only had the main HBO channel) I think since they offer abunch of channels now, they have to dig deeper into their movie library. Thus you see more movies from the early 90's, and 80's now, whereas when I had it before they barley ever showed a movie 5yrs or older.

18. UnnDunn

UnnDunn AllStar

Oct 27, 2002
    Are movies on HBO-HD still shown 16:9, or are they Original Aspect Ratio?

19. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes, from what I can remember HBO, Showtime, pretty much any DTV HD channel is in 16:9. Kinda sucks like TNTHD doing their stretch thing...but not exactly the same.

EXCEPT: HDNET Movies. Those are in the original aspect.

20. jdmart

jdmart AllStar

Jan 9, 2004
    Yes, we watch movies and the Sopranos on HBO-HD in 16:9 and DD5.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.