1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HBO & composite cables

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by horace clark, Apr 14, 2012.

1. horace clark

horace clark New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    SD tv in garage connected to hr20 via composite cables. Press and hold exit button to watch tv. No problem until today trying to watch HBO. Get message that the program is content protected. I can view every other channel except HBO. This wasn't the case last week. Something new?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    My composite is working for hbo. Just checked. HR21 and H24.

3. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Mine is working as well as can be expected also. Someone else posted on another thread about component and HBO. You might try restarting your DVR.

4. horace clark

horace clark New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Just did a reboot. Still get the same message.

image-576141895.jpg

5. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I've checked both my HR20's and they work fine. What software version is yours on.

6. horace clark

horace clark New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    0x59e

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HBO pushing to "analog sunset" starting from composite analog output... :(

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Noticed something strange this week also regarding HBO. Although my Sony is connected via HDMI I get the message that my "set is not compatible with....."displayed too briefly to read in its entirety. It is displayed when changing between HBO channels. Same TV, same HR20 for nearly six years, never a problem prior to this.

9. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Turn on the TV that the HDMI cable is connected to, or if the cable is just hanging on the back of the IRD, remove it and things should work. The ird can't confirm that the device that the HDMI cable is plugged into is a HDCP compliant TV and that's what the error is about.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    hanging HDMI cable has same HW 'value' as HDMI slot itself - so, it is not a factor here

11. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Looking at some tech tips on a DirecTv site it appears that they have introduced HDCP content protection on the premium movie channels this month. It should only affect older model HDTV's that aren't HDCP compliant connected via HDMI. The work around is to use component cables and to remove the HDMI cable.

Why would this be affecting your composite connected TV. Who Knows!

Try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the back of your HR20.

"Analog sunset" doesn't apply to cable and satellite STB's, I don't think.

12. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    hbo and cinemax just enabled hdcp....showtime and starz to follow

13. amenic

amenic Cool Member

Apr 9, 2012
    HBO is changing, adding copywrite protection to its channels. It's supposed to be something that only effects HDMI connections to tvs that are too old to have proper HDCP protection, but this could conceivably affect other types of connections. HBO and Cinemax just started doing this and Starz and Showtime are slated to follow later this month. Other channels may follow, at the digression of their owners.

14. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Do you have another TV connected to the same receiver?

15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    With HDMI and composite connected the receiver is expecting an HDMI handshake that his HDCP compliant. If the TV hooked up via HDMI is not turned on that handshake won't happen.

It does.

16. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Well thats an easy fix.

I am open to education, I googled and it mostly concerned bluerays with exclusions for STB's. Links would be good. TIA.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Search this site. There was a lengthy thread on it quite a while back.

18. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    After reading this thread, I thought I'd check the TVs on my system. I have one TV that is being fed its signal from the DIRECTV box via a MyWirelessTV wireless transmitter. When I tune that TV to HBO, I get the non-HDCP compliant message. I know that the TV is, in fact, HDCP compliant, and, if I connect the TV directly to a DIRECTV receiver, HBO shows fine. Thus, it would seem that something related to the wireless transmitter is the cause of the signal being blocked.

If anybody can suggest a workaround that will allow me to continue to use the wireless transmitter, I'd appreciate it. The wireless transmitter has only HDMI ports on both the receiver and the transmitter. My first thought is to try to replace the HDMI cable going from the DIRECTV box to the wireless transmitter with a component to HDMI cable coming from the component outputs of the DIRECTV box to the HDMI port on the transmitter, but, before I spend the money on the cable, it would be nice to know if it has a chance of working.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Call your transmitter manufacturer and complain - perhaps they would make new FW for it with non-revoked key.

20. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Thanks I searched, "analog sunset" "RunnerFL" "The Merq" and "Earl Bonovich" I didnt get any hits, everything else was mere speculation. I'll roll with what I read on the FCC Website.;)