1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HBO GO and AppleTv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rsonnens, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rsonnens

rsonnens Legend

Nov 7, 2006
    Apple release HBO Go for Apple TV today but you cannot activate it with DirectTV. Activation has to be done in a browser and not the TV itself using a code from the device. I am led to believe that this is DirectTV's decision as they activate on XBoxes.

Very sad as the Apple TV UI is a million times better than DirectTv's on demand UI which is IMHO horrible.

If this is not fixed then it could accelerate the move off DirectTv for whom I have been loyal to for almost 15 years.

2. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I just updated my AppleTV software and see what you mean. directtv is embarrassingly missing from the list of providers on the HBO app. Dish and Directv are missing on the ESPN app. Fortunately the iPad HBO app offers flawless airplay mirroring, complete with Dolby surround. I happen to think apps like that are the future of TV. I can understand why Directv doesn't want to participate in the AppleTV products, but its going to hurt them.

3. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    No different than on Roku: DirecTV doesn't allow you to verify your account in order to use it on that platform either.

This is all about money, control and negotiation.

Ironically, all costs for HBO GO verification are assumed by HBO (i.e. infrastructure), not the cable/satellite cos who do participate. So it wouldn't cost DirecTV a penny to let them do this for Apple TV or Roku.

Of course as the previous poster stated, the iOS HBO GO app can be verified via your DirecTV account. Makes no sense to us subscribers.

4. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Wow I was excited when I first installed the AppleTV update getting the WatchESPN and HBO GO apps but I should have guessed DirecTV would put a stop to that...sure I can AirPlay the HBO GO app from my iPad but it makes more sense to have it Native. Also I think it's a shame I can't have access to WatchESPN when I subscribe to ESPN through DirecTV (plus HBO).

Yes just makes no sense as a DirecTV subscriber being handcuffed like this!

5. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Is this a temporary issue or is this something DirecTV will not allow AppleTV users to take advantage of?

Anyone know?

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is this a temporary issue or is this something DirecTV will not allow AppleTV users to take advantage of?

Anyone know?

If the Roku story tells anything, it might be permanent

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    For HBOGo, at least.

WatchESPN is a different situation, and I believe there's a definite possibility of DirecTV subscribers gaining access to it with DirecTV's next contract negotiation with ESPN.

8. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    I guess I just don't see the reasoning. If I can have HBO Go on my laptop, ipad and iphone...why won't they allow in on Apple TV? I still have the pay them for the ability to watch it. Why do they care HOW I watch it?

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I guess I just don't see the reasoning. If I can have HBO Go on my laptop, ipad and iphone...why won't they allow in on Apple TV? I still have the pay them for the ability to watch it. Why do they care HOW I watch it?

My guess is that they want you to pay the extra TV fee

10. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Add me to the list and I'm not happy about it.

11. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    I see...they're afraid people will add another tv and instead of getting another box, they'll just throw an Apple TV on it. Makes sense, but it's not the way I use mine. My Apple TV is connected to the same tv as my DirecTV box.

Either way, they seem to be in the vast minority on having that concern. Uverse, Dish, Time Warner and Verizon are all fine with it. Seems a silly battle for DirecTV to fight.

12. donsullivan

donsullivan New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    This whole additional box theory doesn't hold up however, since I am able to activate the HBOGo App on my Samsung SmartTV and it works just fine.

13. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Very good point. Plus, I can use Airplay from my iPad to Apple TV right now...

So really, it makes no sense at all.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps they dont want you to give your username and password to a friend and have them watch on the big screen TV without paying for HBO. just a guess

15. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I use an old deactivated iPhone with AirPlay to the AppleTV, doesn't tie up my iPad for th duration of the show. The picture quality is surprisingly good. It would be nice if DirecTV would allow other devices.

16. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I think you guys might want to wait about 24 hours...just saying...actually less than that.

:)

1 person likes this.
  17. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Might this wait be for Roku as well?

18. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Patiently waiting... :)

19. donsullivan

donsullivan New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Based on the note above I just randomly decided to check and was able to activate one of my AppleTV with HBOGo from DirecTV.

So it's working now!

It appears DirecTV was either running behind on delivery, or the reaction all over the net yesterday pressed their hand. All in all, they handled this whole thing very badly.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Would love for all those who would lecture everyone else every time the HBO Go and Roku issue was brought up that "Directv would never do this because it is competition", that "Directv doesn't have to do it", etc. etc --- to chime in now.