1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HBO GO Now available on ROKU

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by peds48, Jan 30, 2014.

1. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yes, ladies and Gents, it now seems that HBO Go is now available on the ROKUs streaming boxes.

2. hazard

hazard Cool Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Nice!

Thanks for posting.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Wow!!!!!!! Hopefully it's true... can't check yet.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yep!!! Just activated it. Awesome news!

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Spread the word....

Funny how DirecTV does this kind of things silently

7. hazard

hazard Cool Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I was able to activate. Was able to watch a cartoon preview.

Out of curiousity, I checked some of the other apps that weren't "working". Looks like History, A&E and Lifetime now work.

It's a good day in Rokuland!

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I guess directv and roku finally got their differences resolved.

Thats great news

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    About time!

1 person likes this.
  10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Just checked my email and found HBO GO on Roku announcement from DirecTV.

11. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    But HBO GO will never be on Roku, Directv sees Roku as a competitor................. according to several armchair CEOs in the past year or so.

1 person likes this.
  12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Agree!

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I wonder if Max Go is available?

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Maybe a dumb question but my Roku's are hooked up to my TVs. What is the advantage of having HBO available on Roku when it's already available on the DVRs?

15. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    None in that scenario. It's for TVs without a D* box. You get access and save the $6 monthly fee.
    Spare bedroom, office, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

1 person likes this.
  16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Thanks.

17. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I think the point(for me at least) is to get rid of direct tv. Having to pay them to get this on my box that is designed to get rid of them seems kinda pointless(to me). I'd rather pay the channels directly and cut out the middle man.

Why is it these channels don't go direct to the consumer? They could make more cutting out pay tv providers and the internet gives them the means to reach a huge audience.

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Because it could end up screwing them over more than helping them.

Imagine they start offering it on their own as a direct subscription and they get 2 million subscribers that cancel their DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc. plans and just sign up that way. You think great, they just got 2 million subscribers. DirecTV, Dish and Comcast get pissed off and stop carrying the channels altogether. That ends up costing them 15 million subscribers. Say only 5 million of those sign up directly. Now they have 7 million subscribers directly, but lost the other 8 million subscribers.

Obviously my numbers are made up, but it is a very real possibilty that if they started offering direct subscriptions that at least some of the normal TV provider would stop offering them altogether, and that would cost them a lot of subscibers. And many people out there don't want to mess with a bunch of different boxes hooked up to their TVs in order to get the content they watch, so they will no longer subscribe. Not to mention it wouldn't suprise me if there are terms in their contracts with the Pay TV providers that keep them from doing it even if they wanted.

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Been talked about ad nauseum, but for starters.

Directv has thousands of customer service agents to handle troubles. HBO has...zero. That "middleman" is absorbing costs HBO doesn't have to.
    Directv handles the billing, most of the marketing, etc. HBO doesn't do any billing, they do some marketing. That middleman is absorbing costs that HBO doesn't have to.
    Directv can deliver this to basically anyone in the United States with line of site. Not everyone can get it through the internet due to speeds caps, etc

Etc, etc.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And who's to say that roku won't become a RVU device soon enough as well?