1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HBO GO Working With Samsung Smart TVs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Odys, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Odys

Odys Cool Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I just saw the following article over on Engadget and while DTV is not listed as supporting HBO Go on Samsung Smart TV's, user comments are indicating that it is indeed working for DTV subscribers. If true, this could be a step to getting other devices finally working with HBO Go. Can anyone here confirm?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/hbo-go-samsung-smart-tv/

2. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Yes, it will work with connected tvs

3. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Any Chance in the short term run that HBOGo will be available in other platforms for DirecTV subs? Roku and other such venues?

4. Mr_A1

Mr_A1 Legend

Jul 21, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    When I activated my samsung tv for HBOGo through http://www.hbogo.com/activate samsung tvs and roku streaming players was listed in the first drop-down box, then DirecTv was listed to sign-in for the activation process. But, it looks like when selecting Roku, DirecTv is not listed for the activation process.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Just used this with my Samsung TV & love it.

6. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Roku uses a different authentication system for its channels. You usually type in a code a provider's website gives that the box gives you, which is different from standard authentication where you are asked for your DirecTV user name and password.

7. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Connected. This is a great addition to my entertainment options. Keep 'em coming :)

8. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    HBO Go is using the same authentication method that is being used for the Samsung TV.

9. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Thoughts on the idea of adding HBOGO and MAXGO apps on DIRECTV HDDVR menus?

Is it possible, benefits?

10. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not sure what the benefit would be. To use HBOGO or MAXGO I have to subscribe to HBO or Cinemax. If I subscribe than I can just watch the channel on my DVR or download from on Demand.

I find HBOGO and MAXGO very useful when I'm in my apartment in Harrisburg where I don't subscribe to either HBO or Cinemax through Comcast.

11. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    The short term benefit is access on your big screen to more library content until the VOD library is expanded, which they are doing now. If you don't have a hddvr then the benefits are even greater because they don't have access to the VOD library